"This is crazy"

Sorry for the tardiness

Happy Reading!

+++

Since I became the Luna months ago, the pack and I have been having weekly runs and dinners, never missing one. Recently, a green space by the children's park had been renovated into a dining area, a huge roof built above it. It was simple, with picnic tables and long tables for food. A mini stage was off to the side for announcements. A dancing area was built on the other side. After the dinners are over, the floor is never empty.

Stepping outside the pack house, I see most pack members mingling on the dance floor just talking. Low music came from the speakers nearby. Children were occupying the play area, and much to their parents' dismay, we're getting dirt all over their clothes. Other pack members bustled about bringing out the food. Each family was in charge of making one dish. I held a pasta dish as I made my way over.

Everyone bowed as I moved through, but continued what they were doing. Standing in the center and looking around I realized I had achieved my goal.

We were a community.

We were family.

We were happy.

That's all I've wanted since becoming Luna and here it is, surrounding me.

"What are you thinking about? You have a goofy look on your face." I turned to see Lio next to me.

"We did it," I whispered as my smile grew, a warmth bubbling in my chest.

"Did what?" He whispered as his confusion grew.

"We rebuilt a community. Look at us," I placed my hands on his shoulders and turned him, so he'd see the whole pack. "We're happy."

A smile overtook his face. "I guess we are."

"Now where is Zach? It's time to start," I asked searching for him.

"I'm right here." He seemed to have popped out of nowhere as he stood next to me.

We headed over to the mini stage, announcing that dinner had started. Everyone cheered as they formed lines for food. Zach and I waited until everyone had served themselves before grabbing a plate.

Everyone ate quickly, eager to get to dancing. Dancing under the stars surrounded by a cool breeze. Mates pulled each other to dance, while our teenagers stood awkwardly on the sidelines.

"How are you doing?" Zach whispered, as he slipped onto the bench next to me.

I shrugged, keeping my eyes on the pack. "I'm not sure how to take in the news." I looked over to him. "But I don't think it changes anything."

Zach studied me. "Mila, I think your parents not being who they said they were changes some things."

"We don't know that for sure," I muttered. "Their paperwork could have been lost. There were many files in that room to keep track of."

Zach stared at me, raising an eyebrow. "I have a hard time believing the king's staff would misplace a file." He sighed, looking away for a moment. "I know its difficult to accept, but even the King told you." He paused, softening his tone. "Deana and Matthew Reins did not exist."

My stomach tightened, a pain blooming in my chest. "Who were they?" I looked at the sky willing my tears to stay at bay. "How will I ever know who they really were if they aren't here anymore?"

Zach placed a hand on my shoulder. "The king is looking into it, and he has all of the resources available to him."

+++