Chapter Twenty-Four Change Three months later...

Start from the beginning

Luna smirked, admiring his emerald eyes gleaming in the morning light. She felt a fluttering sensation in her stomach whenever their eyes met, but she whiffed her head, remembering Kaiden's words. "Family friends panthers mean nothing. When in battle, the fight is the focus."

Luna hardened her gaze, her eyes flashing orange, giving in to her true nature. She dodged the flames lashing her way; the lake melted under the intense heat, wearing away and leaving them with icicle stepping stones.

Luna jumped, avoiding the flying fireballs, and landed in the icy water. The flames singed the end of her outgrown hair, releasing a pungent smell of burnt hair. "What about the other parts of Aerion?" Luna asked.

Luna slashed at Matthew's exposed side, drawing blood that had a metallic smell. She vanished before he could swing his sword, leaving him hissing in pain, his eyes watering. The blood flowed, dripping and turning pink on the pure ice.

"This is more than a sparring match," he snarled, his voice echoing in the icy surroundings. He vanished in a cloud of steam, the sound of his disappearance like a loud hiss.

The cloud floated above the water, and he appeared behind Luna. Their weapons clashed, their blades at each other's necks as they circled one another. "Lurkers and abyss hounds are targeting cities, towns, and are spreading throughout the kingdom like a plague, stealing the magic from abundant areas. Leaving animals to decay and die, leaving them with no food sources," Matt said, his voice strained with the effort of the fight. "Estonia echoes a ghost town." he licked his lips, shoving her with his blade. Luna leaped backwards, using her enhanced agility to land on a melting sphere. "Those who survived took shelter with the mercenaries at the Warlords' residence. Or fled when the Lurkers swarmed into the village.

"Fucking hell, nothing is safe these days." Luna remarked.
She slid her boots forward, moving like the wind, swinging the dagger towards Matthew's chest' slashing his heal wound open, he screeched at the stinging pain, Luna reappeared on the shore grinning, a smile wicked and intentional.
"I gained new abilities since Kaiden's training, Luna replied proudly. "I think our fight ends in a tie, lord Drake." Luna announced. Matthew caught his breath, the icy wind leaching the warmth despite the heavy weather jacket he wore.
He reached the shore. His sizzling runes flared, providing extra warmth, but signalled he would return to the underworld in five minutes.
"Matt, remove your shirt. I need to give you another treatment. Matthew obeyed, wondering if she could control lightning without her scythe. Luna rubbed her hands together, gathering a blue spark.
She applied the raw power against the runes. His screams spooked the nesting birds, who set up nearby. They were far enough from the monastery none of the monks heard them. The white marking reappeared.
"Matthew's eyes widen. Been awhile since I experienced the shock." The runes turned onyx deactivating.
"Thanks for indulging our sparring session,"
"You're welcome. Matthew leaned against a towering oak tree, relishing the warmth emanating from the blazing fire Luna had kindled. The flickering flames cast dancing shadows on the surrounding trees, and the smell of wood smoke wafted through the air. Luna's face flushed a deep shade of pink as she thought back to the stacks of letters from the Delmora lord, each one chronicling their adventures together. She absently ran her fingers over the cool surface of the diamond ring hanging on the chain around her neck. Even though she tried to banish the despair that clung to her since she parted ways with her friends, it lingered like a thick fog. Kaiden's training could not unlock her lost memories, leaving her feeling frustrated.

Matthew cradled her in a protective embrace, returning her scythes. "As promised, safe and sound." Matthew quipped.
Luna smiled. "How far can you teleport?" She asked. Her curiosity lingered. She wanted to know more about Matt, everything about him.
He rose an eyebrow, sceptical, as he chewed on the beef jerky she offered, the snack being his least favoured thing in the world. "A vast distance. Why? What's the plan?" Matthew questioned, tilting his head.
"Visiting The Reaper Shop, a place very few living people have visited, somewhere in the Iron Swamplands. Travelling there is difficult. "Luna frowned. Matthew considered his options. He hated the blistering cold of the Tundra Planes. They stood. Mathew whistled, Grave trotted over, his warm fur ignoring the wintery winds.