Bor

My name is Bor, and I have lived for more than five thousand years. I was born in a pile dwelling on the Ljubljana Marsh, a wetland south of the city that is now called Ljubljana. My people were farmers and hunters, living in harmony with nature. We used wooden wheels to transport our goods and tools, and we worshipped the sun, the moon, and the water.

I was not like the others. I had a curiosity that drove me to explore the marsh and beyond, to learn new things and see new places. I also had a gift that I did not understand: I could heal any wound, survive any illness, and resist any poison. I did not age, nor did I die.

I soon realized that I was different, and that others feared me. They called me a witch, a demon, a cursed one. They shunned me, and some even tried to kill me. But I always escaped, and I always healed. I learned to hide my gift, and to move from one settlement to another, changing my name and appearance.

I witnessed many changes in the world. I saw empires rise and fall, wars and plagues, inventions and discoveries. I met many people, some good, some evil, some who became my friends, some who became my enemies. I loved and lost, and loved again. I learned many languages, arts, and sciences. I traveled across continents and oceans, and even to the stars.

But I never forgot where I came from. I always returned to the Ljubljana Marsh, to see the remains of my old home, to feel the connection with my ancestors, to remember who I was. I still do, every hundred years or so. I wonder if there are others like me, somewhere in the world, or if I am the only one. I wonder why I am immortal, and what is my purpose. I wonder if I will ever find the answers.

I am Bor, and this is my story.