Ruh roh

I arrive at the academy a few minutes early, so I expect it to be quiet but not this quiet. I don't hear the usual whispers of the girls or heels clicking on the floor. There's no kettle whistling or chairs sliding on the wood, nothing at all. I venture further in, looking for any sign of life, but I find no one. I frown deeply as I think, it's not a holiday or anything special so where are they?

I hear soft clacking of shoes and I turn to the stairs to see Nan coming down, finally a person! I stop her before she gets to the door and she raises her eyebrows in question. "Hey, Nan, where is everyone?" I ask softly, "oh, didn't you hear? It's a free day!" she exclaims with a cute smile. "A free day..." I prompt as I'm highly confused as to what she means.

"Yeeess. Cordelia just gave us the day off for some reason. Something about... a mental health day or something? I don't know but I have to go. I have a date!" and with that she's gone, leaving me once again to my thoughts. Oh great, alone with the weirdo. I decide to go to the greenhouse anyway, needing to wrap some things up from yesterday.

I guess me being the only one that doesn't live in the house, I'm not privy to such last minute things anymore. Not like she couldn't send a text but ok. I put my things down and start tinkering with the leftover, unfinished potions. As I'm working on the last two, I hear the door softly creak. I turn my head with a soft smile that quickly falls when my gaze lands on her.

"Natalia..." she sighs, "Cordelia" I state plainly as I turn back to my work. She comes closer and I tense up; an unfamiliar sensation to me. Her presence used to fill me with peace and now? I'm not sure what I feel now but it's definitely not peace. I abandon my things, about to take my bag and leave, when she once again blocks my path.

"Cordelia... move" I mumble, "please just... listen to me. I-I thought about your question and I have an answer" she says quickly. "Great. Tell a therapist. Excuse me" I try to step aside but she just moves with me, further frustrating me. "Ok... that's fair but—trust me I just want to-" "trust you? Tell me, Cordelia; how am I supposed to do that?" I ask angrily and I look up to see her wince.

"Also a fair point" she sighs sadly, "exactly. Now please get out my way, I won't ask you again" I say. "It'll be quick, ok? Just a-" "I. Don't. CARE. Is that clear?" I scoff and she flinches a bit at me raising my voice. I try to move but my body won't listen and that's when I feel the familiar feeling wrapping around me. Cordelia's magic.

"You didn't..." I whisper, "what choice did I have?! You won't listen" she argues. "Oh I dont know! Maybe letting a person have FREE will?! Besides, I won't listen to you with good fucking reason" I scoff and she just comes closer to me. "Oh I see you're bold now that I can't move" I say angrily, not really paying attention to what I'm saying.

"Ok. I said I would be brief. I... did what I did-" "cheated. You cheated" I state firmly and she nods with her head down. "I cheated, because... truth be told—I was craving chaos, ok? I-I needed some change of pace and... I didn't know how to ask for it" she sighs shakily, "so you were bored? Great. Can I leave now?" I ask rhetorically and she shakes her head almost violently.

"No! No that's not what I mean! I wasn't 'bored' I just—I was self-sabotaging. You are the best person to ever walk into my life and I... I was the happiest I'd ever been but it was strange? Happiness—true happiness that is—is a stranger to me. I felt like I didn't deserve it..." she explains, "and so you fucked it all up by cheating? Fascinating. May I please leave?" I reply coldly.

I feel her release the hold on me but I don't move just yet, needing to regain my senses but also because I don't know what to do. "I'm really sorry, Natalia. I know it'll take some time but... I hope you come to believe that, at the very least" she says, her posture straightening as her hands clasp together in front of her. "Goodbye" is all I say before grabbing my bag and transmutating outside.