| 26. THE GIRL WHO MADE ALL THE WRONG CHOICES

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

( THE GIRL WHO MADE ALL THE WRONG CHOICES )

     HER HAIR LAY NEATLY ON THE SAND. It was not blood red like the rest of her body. It was the only clean and pure part left of her. It was Bella. I gently closed her eyes as soon as the cannon passed and gradually stood up, wiping the sand off of my blooded knees. Suddenly, I felt someone grab my shoulder bones; their fingernails digging into my back. All I could have done was to clamp my eyes shut, hoping it would all be over in any second. One. Two. Three.

     "What do you think your doing?" exclaimed James' breaking voice from somewhere behind me in question. The sound rippled through my ears, tempting me to fight back, but I could not as the person dug harder and harder into my skin. I heard James speak again, "If... hurt... her..." His speech was muffled. I could only hear a few words as I began to lose consciousness.

     "If I hurt her what?"

     I recognised that voice well. Althea. I knew I had forgotten about her, but I couldn't waste any time thinking of a plan to get out of her enclosing arms.

     "Just. . . Just. . .Leave her alone." He was crying now. I couldn't see it, although I could hear it in his speech; the pauses in his words were prolonged so he could avoid swallowing his own tears.

     Trying to hear another morceal of noise, I pulled my head further into Althea's shoulder, her grip tightening and causing me to lose more consciousness every time...

     I felt Althea breath. I couldn't feel anything else except for her bitter breath burning my head. She slid her sword against my waist as I heard her and James talking. I couldn't breath. She was suffocating me, killing for sport.

     Stay in there, I heard my mother's voice somehow, dug from a forgotten memory, Silver; stay strong. Be your Mother's victor. Prove them all wrong.

     I was dying, or perhaps I only felt like it. I couldn't feel anything. I couldn't do anything. I didn't see James. I was dead if I could hear my Mother, because she was dead too, an a logical thinking couldn't halt a flood of emotion rushing through my mind.

     "Step away James, or she gets it."

     Althea's voice vibrated against my ear. James must have been getting closer as her grip tightened. All I could see was a black emptiness inside my head, but I could see some light. I struggled around to see if I could move a muscle, and my arm twitched. Nerves tingled down my spine and my whole body began to regain movement. I jolted my eblow back to my belt.

     "Silver, can you hear me?" James asked from behind me. I tried to speak but Althea's palm was fastened around my jaw. Squirming, I dragged my arms loose and reached for my knives.