Layla sighed and walked out, across the hall to Harry's room, banging on the door. She got no response.

"Harry, it's Layla. Open the door before I blow it off its hinges."

Shuffling was immediately heard from inside the room until the door swung open, revealing Harry. Given the circumstances, Harry looked very happy to see Layla.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked her. "I thought you would be with your dad."

"I'm here for the Weasleys. My dad's got Order business," said Layla. "Now, follow me, now."

She was expecting Harry to protest, but he immediately followed her back across the hall to Ginny's room, where Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were waiting.

"That was easy," Ron muttered to Hermione and Ginny. "She actually got him to leave his room."

"He's whipped, that's why," Ginny chuckled quietly, and both Layla and Harry were oblivious to what they were saying.

"You're here, too?" said Harry, turning to Hermione. "I thought you were skiing with your mum and dad?"

"Well, to tell the truth, skiing's not really my thing," said Hermione. "Mum and Dad are a bit disappointed, but I've told them that everyone who is serious about the exams is staying at Hogwarts to study. They want me to do well, they'll understand. Anyway," she said briskly. "Layla and I came on the Knight Bus. Umbridge is livid that you lot disappeared right under her nose, even though Dumbledore told her Mr Weasley was in St Mungo's and he'd given you all permission to visit."

"Okay, let's cut to the chase," said Layla, turning to Harry. "How're you feeling?"

"Fine," said Harry, slightly surprised that Layla had asked.

"You're the worst liar in the world," Layla rolled her eyes impatiently.

"Ron and Ginny say you've been hiding from everyone since you got back from St Mungo's," said Hermione.

"They do, do they?" said Harry, glaring at Ron and Ginny. Ron looked down at his feet but Ginny seemed quite unabashed.

"Well, you have!" she said. "And you won't look at any of us!"

"It's you lot who won't look at me!" said Harry angrily.

"Maybe you're taking it in turns to look, and keep missing each other," suggested Hermione, the corners of her mouth twitching.

"Very funny," snapped Harry, turning away.

"Oh, stop feeling all misunderstood," said Layla sharply, causing Harry to fall silent. Ginny turned to Ron, shooting him a knowing smirk.

"Whipped," she whispered quietly.

"Look," said Hermione in a much gentler tone than Layla had used, "the others have told Layla and I what you overheard last night on the Extendable Ears—"

"Yeah?" growled Harry. "All been talking about me, have you? Well, I'm getting used to it."

"We wanted to talk to you, Harry," said Ginny, "but as you've been hiding ever since we got back—"

"I didn't want anyone to talk to me," said Harry. He then remembered that he had immediately spoken to Layla when she arrived and tried to redeem himself. "And why did you send Layla my way? I may have spoken to her, but that doesn't mean that I wanted to."

"Well, that was a bit stupid of you," said Layla angrily, "seeing as I'm the only one you know who's been possessed by Voldemort, and I can tell you how it feels."

Harry remained quite still as the impact of these words hit him. Then he wheeled round.

"I forgot," he said.