Lovers

This is a little story inspired by the painting by Charles Blackman. Enjoy!

***

Lovers by Charles Blackman

The light was dim in the dank alleyway. Rain fell in torrents on the concrete, silence hanging in the stale air. The moon stood above it all, her watchful eyes descending on the slightest of disturbances. And it was at that moment, a shadow darted across a grey building, feet causing commotion in the smallest of puddles, a face of foreboding. He knew in a few moments, goodbye would be said. Perhaps she would disappear from his life forever. For eternity. He could not even bear to think of the future. Composing his grief stricken face, he stood quietly under the lamp post, fingers entwined, eyes cast down on the muddy cobblestones.

A reed like voice echoed around the square. He looked up, saw her in all her glory. Even with her black hood to ward away the cold, to him she was a vision. An angel sent from the heavens. Her features soft and compassionate, for all in the world. Staring into the eyes of that kind face, like staring into a kindled fire on a bitter winter night. She smiled sadly and he stepped into her embrace. They hung for a long time, neither of them speaking a word, for what they felt could not be expressed in words, it was written all over their faces, and he knew, imprinted on his heart.  A scar, that dug into his very soul, that would not heal, would never heal. But deep down he knew, he didn’t want it to. He didn’t want to forget the long nights under the stars and the sky, the loving memories collected in his heart and mind, and especially not those bittersweet nights after the news was heard, the last moments he was clinging onto with his life, for fear that he would let it go. He was afraid, not of being saddened perpetually, but of forgetting. Of leaving those memories, of moving on. He knew, from all of love he knew, it was best to move on, not to cry over things past. But he did not want this. He was willing to mourn forever if only she would still remain in his heart.

Then it was over. She stepped away, head hung, and held onto his hand as one would hold onto a rope that would save a life. And as they stood locked in that position, a knocking sound resonated around the silent place, as the world was asleep. The horses trotted right up to her, whinnying impatiently. She glanced at her lover one last time, then turned away and let go, her hand slipping ever so slowly away. Then she ascended the short stairwell into the carriage. He watched as she was carried away into the night, the sound of horses drifting further and further away.

His hand still felt clammy and he wanted so desperately to chase the vehicle, to stay with her forever. But he knew this was not possible, so he simply turned and walked briskly back to his home.

The note she had slipped into his hand seemed wet and torn by the time he unfolded it and began to read.

Rain falls insistently on the ground,

Forlorn, yearning for sun is the sky.

He must part, his beloved’s sound,

A last embrace, a saddened sigh.

But remember not the grief as we part,

Remember the times that have passed.

Remember the smile left as flight was took,

To the sun that lies beyond.

My darling, do not dwell on the past,

For the future is ever so bright.

Do not hang your head, eyes cast,

Do not live in the night,

Live in the warmth and glory of sun,

Live in a world of joy,

If you love me so, my dearest one,

You shall not be so sour,

Move on, into the light of day,

Dance amongst the flowers.

Move into the whirl of time,

Do not stay hung in memories,

For if you truly care for this rhyme,

You will know I want you to abandon your worries.

Fly into the future,

But I ask  you one,

Fly to remember joy.

He understood. He would let go, but he would always remember. Through his life, he would remember.

50 years later…

He sat tiredly at the base of the apple tree. Laughing echoed around him, and he laughed too, no matter how it strained his breath to do so. Children and grandchildren flocked at his feet, and he smiled at their happiness. There was nothing more to say. He had lived quite a simple life, but it was a happy one. And all through it he remembered. And he thanked her profusely for his joy. And at that moment, it began to rain. But he was not saddened with heartbreak. He stayed, joyous, and watched as a rainbow shone in the darkest of skies.