Chapter 2 The night comes

July 14th 1881.

Dear journal.

I am in Fort Sumner staying with Pete Maxwell. I don't know how this day will end. I have been having a nightmare every night now. People here in New Mexico call it a death dream.

My dream is this. There is darkness all around me and there are planks under my back and the heels of my boots and the air above me is cold.

I am hungry so I am going to get something to eat from Pete Maxwell. As I walk into his room I hear something or someone. I call out Quein es Quein es. That means who is it who is it.

I turn around to see Pat Garrett standing there in front of me. We talk for a while. Then he points his gun at me and shoots me down.

That should be the end of the story. But it isn't. I let them bury me in the graveyard at Fort Sumner.

I waited awhile before I drug myself out of my grave so that his men wouldn't follow me.

Then one day I walked into his restaurant called Garrett's place. It was a surprise to Pat Garrett to see me alive. He saw my shoulder was covered with dirt and dried blood.

We talked again and after I ate some stew I left his restaurant. And I have to ask myself a question. Where do I go from here?

And the skies of Lincoln County are as blue as blue can be and the sun that shines on you well it used to shine on me and I know the smell of wood smoke and I liked the taste of beer the only difference is I am not here I am in New Mexico and it is 1881.

William Bonney