Wonbin takes an aborted step forward, not knowing what to respond with.

"Drop it." Chaewon says without looking at him, a deep breath taken, "Let's just try not to die tonight, okay?"

She had jinxed it— Well, half.

During the fight, Wonbin had been shot in the chest, just barely managing to pry the guy off before Chaewon put a bullet in his head. She had pushed the fucker away, dropping to her knees and immediately applying pressure to Wonbin's wound, shouting profanities at him and sobbing softly even though she hadn't cried in real tears in years.

Wonbin's okay, of course. He was still alive, as you readers have seen him already. But still, Chaewon didn't know this 4 years ago.

"I'm fine." He had said, wheezing when she pulled him into the tightest hug, "I'm wearing a vest." He pulled back his shirt to show her the evidence.

"Don't d-do that." Chaewon sobbed, arms wrapped around his neck, face stuffed into his collarbone, "Fuck, don't do that."

"I'm sorry." Wonbin said. He was still a bit clumsy, then. After all, he had just joined, "I'm sorry." He said a second time.

They both made it out alive that night.

It was when they gathered in their rooms that night did the air get tense.

"You almost died tonight." Chaewon said as she patched up a cut he'd gotten on his cheek from one of his own knives. She knew this would happen, but Wonbin was stubborn, just like Sunghoon.

"But I didn't." Wonbin sighed. They'd talked about this multiple times already.

"What if you weren't wearing that vest?" Chaewon apologized briefly at his hiss when she added the antibiotic to his scab.

"But I was." Wonbin draws the words out, "You don't have to worry. Look, I'm right here, and I'm okay."

"But you—"

"Noona." Wonbin took ahold of her wrist, stopping her movements and maintaining strict eye contact, "I'm fine."

Chaewon bit her lip when it wobbled, looking down to blow it off. She focused on opening the bandage, peeling off the outer paper and lifting it to press it on his cut.

"I'm okay." Wonbin's soft tone wasn't helping either. Chaewon felt guilty, "You didn't do anything, alright? This is just a scratch, I'm just clumsy."

"But I could've—"

"I dropped talking about my brother. Now you drop talking about this." Wonbin demanded, shaking his head.

Chaewon huffed, "I'll kill you if you get hurt again." Or in other words, you're the last little bit of Sunghoon I have left... I can't lose you. Chaewon was getting attached.

Wonbin laughed, "I'm looking forward to it."