As they collapsed into the chairs, grief and concern washed over them like a suffocating tide. The air hung heavy with unspoken fears as they sat in silence, the ticking clock on the wall a cruel reminder of the passage of time.

Christian's phone broke the silence, its ringtone cutting through the air with a harsh tone. He sighed, realizing it was Geri, his wife. Answering quietly, he stepped aside his hushed conversation a stark contrast to the tension in the room.

James turned to Charles, his eyes searching for reassurance. "They're going to be okay, right?"

Charles couldn't bring himself to answer. His mouth was dry, and his palms were sweaty. The weight of uncertainty pressed down on him, and he found himself lost in the maze of his own thoughts.

James persisted, his voice filled with desperation. "Charles, we have to believe they'll make it through this. Lexi and Max are strong. They have to be okay."

Charles nodded, the lump in his throat making it difficult to speak. "I know, James. I just... I can't lose her. I can't lose them."

As Christian finished his call, he rejoined them, his face a mixture of exhaustion and worry. The room seemed to close in on them, and the sterile white walls became a canvas for their shared anguish.

"I spoke with Geri," Christian said, his voice low. "She's on her way. She's asked if we need anything."

The news offered a glimmer of solace, but the weight of the situation persisted. They sat in the sterile waiting room, each lost in their thoughts, grappling with the fragility of life and the uncertain road that lay ahead.

Time stretched on, the minutes feeling like an eternity. As the clock's hands inched forward, they clung to the hope that the next update would bring better news. In the quiet of the waiting room, with only the hum of fluorescent lights above, they endured the agonizing wait for tomorrow.

The sterile waiting room continued to cocoon them in painful silence as James, snapping back to reality, realized the need to call his wife Eleanor. As he walked away, Charles, still grappling with the surrealism of the situation, pulled out his phone. The device buzzed incessantly with missed calls and messages, a cacophony of concern echoing from his family, friends, and fellow drivers.

His hands trembled as he scrolled through the notifications. Messages from his mother and brothers, Lewis, Sebastian, Daniel—all expressing shock and worry. The drivers' group chat was buzzing nonstop, the camaraderie momentarily eclipsed by the shared anxiety for Lexi and Max.

Amidst the sea of messages, one caught Charles's eye, causing his heart to skip a beat. A message from Kate, their surrogate. She hoped Alexandra was okay and offered her support, urging him to call if he needed anything. The weight of the situation intensified, and Charles, instead of calling Kate, dialed his mother's number.

His mother's voice, filled with tears, was the first sound that greeted him when she answered. "Charles, darling, are you okay?"

"I'm here with Arthur and Lorenzo," she continued, her voice breaking. "Tell us, how is our girl?"

Charles, his throat tight, struggled to find words. "She's in surgery. It's... it's critical. And Max, he's in a bad way too. Maman...what do I do?"

Silence hung over the line for a moment before his mother spoke again. "We're here for you, Charles. We love you."

The gravity of the situation overwhelmed him, and Charles felt a surge of emotion welling up inside him. "I can't lose her, Maman. I can't."

His sobs broke through, echoing in the quiet hospital room. His mother's comforting words were barely audible over the sounds of shared grief.