As I descended the stairs, expecting to see Kunal, I was taken aback to find someone else emerging from the study. "Who are you-?" My words caught in my throat as my gaze fell on the gun she pointed at me. Panic surged through me. "W-what are you doing?" I stammered, fear gripping me.

"Melissa," I turned towards the figure at the top of the stairs – it was Kartik.

"Ma-"

"Stay there," Melissa commanded, pointing a gun at me, freezing me in place. "What are you doing?" panicked Kartik rushed down the stairs. The girl shifted the gun's barrel between us, her eyes red, and dark circles framed her face, hinting at some profound distress.

"Stay there, both of you!!!" she screamed.

"You killed him!!!! You killed us!!!! You killed my family!" she accused Kartik, her voice filled with sorrow and anger.

"That was just a mistake, and you ruined me for that. I lost him because of you," she claimed, leaving me puzzled and sympathetic toward her pain.

"Cheating isn't a mistake, Melissa; it's a choice. Now put the gun down... she's pregnant," Kartik warned, trying to appeal to reason.

"He killed himself because of that—I lost the only thing I have. Now you have to go through the same pain. You have to," she declared, raising the tension. In a moment of horror, she pulled the trigger. I covered my ears, screaming.

"Kartik," Kunal's voice broke through when I opened my eyes. Kartik had positioned himself in front of me, stumbling backward and collapsing, blood forming a pool around him. Another gunshot rang out, and Melissa fell backward, blood surrounding her.

________________

Three years later, a young girl in her toddler years danced and leaped on the stage, holding a fairy wand. Her nose showed signs of a cold, giving her an endearing look, with large bug-like eyes and rosy, plump cheeks resembling a baby. "She resembles her dad so much," Naira exclaimed with teary eyes, discussing how Kartik's daughter looked exactly like him. Beside her, Kunal agreed, nodding in acknowledgment.

The little girl, Mehwish, ran energetically toward Kunal, embracing his knees. "I missed you," she playfully hit his nose, expressing how much she missed him. Naira, standing alongside them, pouted, "What about me, baby?" Mehwish cheekily replied, "Not you, Mumma, only Ku," patting Kunal's cheek. Naira rolled her eyes and put on a sad face. Mehwish giggled, saying, "Aww, Mumma," as she pulled Naira's cheek. "I missed both of you," she added.

______________

Naira's pov 

No, no, no, no. I can't bear it; that horrifying scene flashed in front of my eyes when Kartik was lying in a pool of blood. I sprinted directly towards my room, rushing into the washroom, and couldn't hold back, throwing up everything.

A comforting hand rubbed my back, and a concerned voice asked, 'Mon amour, are you okay?'

I looked up, and beside me, I whispered, 'No, Kartik. I can't erase that view from my mind; it was so ugly.' I turned towards him, hiding my face against his chest.

'Shh, my baby, I'm fine. Everything is fine,' Kartik cooed, providing reassurance in that vulnerable moment.

____________

"Papa, Mia is angry. Why didn't you come to my school?" Mia pouted as soon as we descended.

"We agreed on this, Mia. Remember? I told you we have to prepare for Mumma's birthday surprise," Mai smacked her head, realizing, "Oh, shoot! I forgot, Solly papa." She grinned.

"What—sur—"

"You'll know that tomorrow!! For now, can I steal a dance with my favorite lady?" Kartik said, keeping his finger on my lips to silence me.

"What about me, Daddy???" Mai chirped.

"You can dance with Ku, sweetie."

"No, Ku. Mia wants to dance with Daddy."

"Ahhh, okay. Fine, come here, my baby." Kartik opened his arms, kneeling down, and Mia ran towards him, directly into his arms. The music on the player began playing while I sat beside Kunal.

"You should settle too, Kunal—marry someone—" I said, overwhelmed by guilt. Kunal shook his head, "If it was meant to be, then it should've happened. And now I have Gauri. I don't need a wife; I'm fine with my adopted daughter."

I nodded and turned my attention to Kartik and Mehwish.

Kartik twirled with Mehwish in his arms, and the two looked absolutely adorable. I couldn't help but adore them both at that moment. Yes, this guy was and is my love, and will be my love forever.

Meri Khushi bhi wo, meri tabahi bhi wo 

Meri abadi bhi wo, meri barbadi bhi wo

 The end