She responded with a pout.

"You don't remember that?" I furrowed my brow as memories flooded my mind.

"Kartik, look at this. She's so cute," Naira showed me her phone, and we were both sitting on the college staircase, absorbed in our phones. The screen displayed a video of an adorable baby with chubby cheeks and soft lips.

"That's cute," I smiled, playfully pulling Naira's cheeks. "But not as cute as you," I chuckled. In response, she pouted and lightly smacked my knee, giving me a playful punishment for pulling her cheek. "Even cuter than me," she insisted, leaning closer to my face defensively.

Chuckling, I said, "Not for me," and kissed her. Her cheeks turned a deep shade of crimson as she looked away, stating, "If we ever have a baby, she'll be cuter than both of us, and you'll agree one day. We'll name her Humpty Dumpty!"

"Humpty-Dumpty?" I questioned, bewildered.

She nodded and flashed a toothy smile.

I was still grappling with confusion when she gently took my hand and placed it on her belly. The realization hit me like a ton of bricks – was I dreaming? "Are- are- you," I stammered. Confirming my suspicions, she nodded, tears welling up in both our eyes as she whispered, "I'm pregnant." Before her words fully sank in, I pulled her into the tightest hug, feeling an indescribable warmth and joy. It was like something incredible was crawling inside me in the best possible way, and amidst the intensity of emotions, I found myself laughing in pure happiness as I twirled her around.

But then, the weight of responsibility struck, and panic set in. "What should I do?" I blurted out in a whirlwind of questions – toys, clothes, baby food – my excitement and anxiety taking over. I fell to my knees, struggling to catch my breath, overwhelmed with a mixture of panic and joy. "What should I do, mon amour?" I asked in a breathless panic.

Naira, ever composed, knelt beside me, holding me tightly against her. "Shhhh, shhhh, Kartik, first calm down," she reassured me. She instructed me to breathe slowly, and as I followed her lead, the chaotic whirlwind in my lungs began to settle.

After catching my breath, Naira shared the news the doctor had conveyed to her and Kunal in my absence. Desperate for confirmation, I asked, "Are- you- really-?" and she nodded, prompting tears of happiness. It was an overwhelming moment, and as if sensing my emotions, Naira climbed onto my lap, taking my lower lip between her teeth in a tender gesture.

Our kiss became a canvas for pouring out all the love and intensity of the moment. Lips meeting, tongues dancing, her small palms holding my face, and my arms embracing her waist – it was a tender and intense moment that I wished could last forever.

Love might come with its challenges, but in that shared moment, it was undeniably beautiful.

_________

Naira's pov:

My eyes fluttered open upon hearing an unfamiliar voice downstairs. Glancing at the clock in the dimly lit room, its red glow indicated 7 o'clock in the morning. "Must be Kunal," I whispered to myself, turning to see Kartik sleeping peacefully beside me, a stark contrast to the intense and overwhelming moments we had shared before sleep took over. His happiness, reflected in the glistening tears in his eyes, was the best feeling, truly melting my heart.

I couldn't resist pecking his nose, eagerly anticipating the future sight of our baby sleeping as peacefully as him. A gentle trace over my belly brought a smile to my face. Deciding to surprise Kartik with coffee, I gently pushed myself out of bed, heading downstairs to also welcome Kunal, who consistently went out of his way to prepare meals for me – a gesture of love that touched my heart deeply.