𝟏- 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥.

Start from the beginning

I shouted and sobbed, went ballistic, shouting at people, I went unhinged. I feel someone holding me back as I try to punch a tree.

"That's enough of that, sweetheart." An annoyed voice says behind me. It was definitely a peacekeeper. I'm dead. I start hyperventilating and sobbing. "It's my fault" I sob. ''let's get you home, it's reaping tomorrow." I scream and shout, this person never letting go. "Shows over, get!" the voice says. and I hear scurrying of feet. I fight for my arms back and I turn around. Haymitch Abernathy. "let's get you home, sweetheart." he says. "Home won't understand. I just don't want to think about anything.'' I start crying.  he takes me about 15 minutes away to his home in Victor's Village. ''I've got a bottle from earlier.'' He says, grabbing it from his living room. Haymitch and I take turns swigging from the bottle. ''Are you ready to be a mentor tomorrow?'' I ask tauntingly. ''Am I ready to be responsible for 2 children's deaths?'' he retorts. I laugh. He goes into his kitchen and grabs another few bottles. Within an hour we had blown through them all. We found anything and everything funny. Until we didn't. I start crying, I miss Jackson and it hadn't even been 12 hours yet. ''It's okay, speaking of which, I've completely blanked you name!'' He exclaims. ''Peony, Peony Damston.'' I say between my sobs.

The liquor didn't sit right. ''You've gone green, sweetheart.'' He laughs. It was funny until I ran into his bathroom and puked in his bathroom. He was stood in the door, leaning on the door frame. ''Finished?'' He says. I nod uncertainty. While walking out of the bathroom and back into the lounge, Haymitch tripped over his feet. ''Oh no!'' I say drunkenly. I tried to bend down and help him up, but then everything started spinning. I fell to the floor, lying beside him. It was 5am before I woke on Haymitch Abernathy's cold floor. My head was pounding, but I needed to go. I get up and leave.

I walk through my front door and my mother comes running to me. ''Peony, where have you been, you worried me to death!" She shouts. My head pounds with every word.

''Sorry. Yesterday was all too much.'' I start crying. I assume she knows, otherwise she wouldn't have said how sorry she was. I make my way up to my bedroom, taking each step slowly, so I wouldn't faint. Everything was spinning. I managed to flop onto my bed, before I was awoken by my Mum, several hours later.

''Love! We need to go! It's Reaping soon!'' She shouts. Obviously I didn't make it out of my clothes last night. Thinking about yesterday, the first half was numb, It took everything in me to not cry. The second half is an absolute blur. I climb out of bed, Not making any effort to eat or change.

''Do you not want food?'' My Mum asks as we get ready to leave. ''No, It's alright, I'll eat when I get back.'' I had no appetite, the site of food would make me spew.  My mum shoots me a look. ''Relax Mum, my names only in there 10 times. There's loads of kids in twelve, The odds are in my favour.'' I mock.  We leave, I walk 3 paces in front of here until we reach the justice building.

When I arrive and my Mum could go no further, I walk up to the line that stood between me and the crowd of kids, "name?" mumbled the peacekeeper. "Peony Hamston."

I'm acknowledged by snatching of my finger and a zap. I flinch a little while blood trickles down my pale fingers, It was like comparing white rose vs red rose. I move towards the crowd and find my friend, Phoebe. Phoebe and I have been friends since we were 9, we were now 16, she's my saving grace, she listens to my stupid rants.

"Hey, I'm truly sorry about Jackson, he didn't deserve it." she whispers. I don't respond, I merely give her a nod of agreement. Our conversation was cut short by a tap of the microphone 50 meters away. "Welcome, Welcome. Happy Hunger Games. And, may the odds be ever in your favour. Now, before we begin, We have a very special film. Brought to you, All the way from the capitol!" They play the same film every year, I could recite it off by heart if I tried. "War. Terrible War. widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land." Phoebe and I giggled and mocked the escorts expressions. The video stopped playing and was followed by an annoying Capitol accent. "How wonderful!" Now, the time has come to select one courageous young man and woman to represent District Twelve in the 51st Hunger Games! As always, Ladies first.''

The escort slipped her hand in the glass bowl, her brightly coloured nails sticking out like a sore thumb. She unfolded the paper that had the fate of one unlucky child. ''The female tribute representing twelve is, Peony Hamston! Come on up dear!'' The silence and stares. She said my name. I walk out from the crowd and up onto the stage.  The odds are NOT in my favour, the Escort comes up behind me and asks:  ''Are you alright dear?'' No, I was not alright, I had lost my best-friend's life, and my life in the span of 24 hours. I try to say ''Yeah.'' , but nothing comes out my mouth. I start shaking. ''Yes, sorry, I'm fine.'' I say shyly.

The escort just awkwardly pats my back and dawdles over to the male tribute bowl. I compose myself, wipe my newly flowing tears, and listen out for my district partner. ''The male tribute is ''Darkk Becker'' A small timid boy filters through the crowd, His ginger hair distinguishing him from the crowd. He starts to walk up, petrified. He joins us up on stage, ''May I present this year's District 12 tributes, Shake hands!'' I shake his hand, and he shakes mine, both our hands
unsteady.

I looked in the distance from the stage, and saw that familiar tree.  I couldn't breathe, I was attempting to block out the noises, I was in hysterics. Before I knew it, I was getting dragged out to the building that lay behind me.

I'm met with the voice I heard 24 hours prior.

''Great way to make an impression, Sweetheart.''