chapter one

🐇𓍢ִ໋🌷͙֒🪐 ...

it was a year after the riot of a black friday event, valentina was in the middle of reading "everything everything" by nicola yoon when suddenly, she got a phone call from her friend, jess.

jess used to be way cooler back then before she became all popular around school, but she was still cool and really nice to valentina. she always invited her to parties and going out with her friends even though she would always politely decline since she barely trusted her friend group anymore.

after all, they were the ones who convinced her to come knowing how packed the store would be. that night, she got trampled and nearly died until jess and bobby helped her out of the way, bobby breaking his wrist in the process.

but she forgave the rest of the group, just didn't forget.

valentina's way of escaping reality was reading. no matter what was going on or what book it was, just hand her a book and she'll zone out into it.

and right now, valentina really needed that. she'd just broken up with her boyfriend— well, ex-boyfriend, ryan baker a few days ago. they dated since freshman year and had a healthy relationship until he just broke up with her out of the blue due to his assumptions of valentina losing interest in him.

valentina answered the phone anyway. "jessssss." valentina dragged on the s for a few seconds. jess chuckled, "valentinaaaa." she dragged on the a.

"what's up?" valentina asked even though she already knew what she was going to be asked.

"i know you might not want to... but would you wanna walk around town with, well, you know who? it's just everyone's in town right now and there's gonna be candy apples, axe throwing, that kind of shit." jess explained.

valentina would usually turn down, but she wanted to get out of the house. "actually, yeah. sounds fun. uhh, i'm gonna get dressed and head over there i live just down the block." she answered.

"okay! see you here. me and gabby are just gonna be walking around so you'll probably catch us." jess said, hiding her excitement. "bye, see you." valentina replied and hung up to get ready.

🐇𓍢ִ໋🌷͙֒🪐 ...

valentina entered the streets and it was everything jess explained. as she looking around she laid eyes on axe throwing, in which she saw evan.

she walked over to ask if he had any idea where the two girls were, but it was practically a last resort. she hated evan, and he hated her. evan used to have a thing for her, starting in 7th grade and ending in their sophomore year.

it wasn't ever really depicted why they started hating each other, they just didn't get along.

valentina waited until he was done throwing the axe to say anything. shortly after he did, he noticed her.

in order to talk to her, he'd had to move aside and let the kids behind him go in front of him.

"castillo." he greeted, glancing at her up and down. "fletcher." she greeted back, crossing her arms.

"looking for jess and gabby?" he asked. "yeah." valentina confirmed, her arms still crossed. "great. good luck." evan grinned.

"don't be a dick, fletcher. where are they?" she repeated while he laughed at her reaction.

"i don't know, somewhere around here." evan told her. "wow, thanks for that." valentina rolled her eyes and stormed off to find the girls.

scuba approached evan, who was watching valentina walk away, still laughing at her.