Chapter 20 - Doors, Corners, and Ceilings

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to get some food. I'll be back," he said.

She nodded and laid back down and he took a moment to admire the shape of her under his blanket before heading out into the ship.

***

Dethrhhek was going to go straight to the mess hall until he heard movement in the med bay. So he stepped in to find Ehnii hovering over the med pods. The Koli, Jeancheo, was already out of his pod. He was leaning against the table and stretching his neck when Dethehhrek walked in.

"I'm glad you made it, Jeancheo," Dethrhhek said.

"Me too," the Koli grumbled. "You have a good doctor," he added with a respectful nod toward Ehnii.

"Yes, I do," he agreed.

"Are Felden and Thaniel going to make it?" he asked.

"Oh, yes. They'll be fine by the time we reach the Wahallia," he said with a wave of his hand.

"That's a relief. How are you?"

"I'm fine. How is Willow? She left before I could clear her."

"She's... bruised. She could use something for the pain."

"I'll bring some to your quarters," he said. "I need to check on her anyway."

"Come with me, then. I'm just grabbing some food."

With a tray of food in one hand, Dethrhhek raised a finger to his lips before stepping close enough to his door to trigger it. The door opened with a soft hiss to reveal Willow lying on her belly, still asleep on his bed, the blanket low on her hips. Pale blue patterns shimmered on her skin where he'd marked her, complimenting her pale blue stripes.

Ehnii gasped.

Dethrhhek looked back at the male to find him gaping at her. Slowly, Ehnii's wide eyes turned to him, the corners of his open mouth curling. He uttered an excited little squeal and Dethrhhek shook his head. He moved to the bed and sat on the edge, placing a hand on her narrow shoulder.

"Willow," he said softly.

She uttered a content, feminine hum and rolled toward him, eyes slowly fluttering open again. A languid smile curled her lips as she looked up and his entire chest broke in half. He knew then that he wanted to be the one to wake her up every day, for the rest of his life.

Dethrhhek swallowed and said, "I brought you some food, and Ehnii is here to check on you."

She blinked and her lips pressed into a line. Her eyes moved and found Ehnii, standing slightly behind him. Slowly, she reached down and grabbed the blanket, and pulled it up over her chest.

"Apparently, you guys have a different idea of what is proper than most of my people do," she grumbled.

Dethrhhek raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"I mean, you could have told me you brought someone with you before I rolled over and showed my boobs to the room," she said in clear irritation.

"Why? You have lovely boobs. Besides, Ehnii is here to check on you, and your lovely boobs."

Her face screwed up in confusion. "Why would he be here to check on my boobs?" she asked.

"Because you had an explosive device detonate directly on them," Dethrhhek said with a chuckle.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm fine," she said, sitting up and hugging the blanket to her chest.

"Willow, I just want to make sure you're okay," Ehnii said gently as he sat on the bed beside Dethrhhek. "I hope you know, by now, that I will be respectful."