An innocent walk

Seraphina Evangeline Hemsworth was well aware of the fact that horseback riding was a crucial skill to perfect. That did not stop her from hating it. She knew how to ride well enough as not to find herself in too much trouble if she was forced to sit in a saddle, but it brought her no joy whatsoever. She never grasped how to exactly have contact on the reins, she didn't understand how to properly communicate with a horse, did not trust horses with her safety whatsoever and was completely reconciled with never interacting with them.

Which is why when the tall blonde led her to the stables and asked how good of an equestrian she was, she replied without hesitation:

"I will have you know; I have been trained by the best cavaliers France has to offer,"

that wasn't technically a lie, although great teachers did not guarantee her own success.

Samuel raised his brows at her, as if he didn't believe her at all, but he refrained from saying anything more than a simple 'good'.

They walked silently rest of the way, and even though Samuel's confident steps forced a fast pace, Seraphina had no problem with keeping up.

She couldn't understand. Was it possible he had forgotten? Had he changed his mind? Or was he trying to dull her vigilance? She couldn't tell, and as much as she wanted to lay her faith in Chris' words, agitation wouldn't leave her body.

As Weston talked to a stableman, the man raised his brows in surprise eyeing the girl.

"My Lord, with all due respect to your decision, I'm not entirely certain Colonel is a horse fit for a Lady," the man smiled at him nervously, then once again his eyes jumped to Seraphina, who, completely flabbergasted and slightly pallid stared at the blonde with wide eyes.

What in the name of God, gave Samuel the impression that she could be put on whatever beast named Colonel. Was that his plan, to put her unable self on a wild stallion?

"Gael, Colonel is a horse fit for someone who has been trained by the best cavaliers the country of France has to offer, you out of everyone should know a thing or two about that," he replied calmly, and in that moment, Seraphina deeply regretted feeling of need to prove to him her competence.

Colonel, as she would later learn, was a well-built, chestnut stallion. Upon first sight, she realized she couldn't trust him, and she also knew it would be a very bad idea to ride on his back.

To Seraphina's surprise, when she peered into his eyes as he was being led to her, she saw nothing. She thought there was nothing at all said by his gaze. Not even bothering to smell her, he showed no concern for the girl. However, Seraphina knew her truth.

Even though the horse stood completely still, Seraphina felt flashes of heat, heartbeat in her stomach and a weakness in her knees as she slowly and with much effort got on the horse.

"Are you well?" Samuel sounded both impatient and deeply bothered. Turning her gaze to him she noticed he was already seated on a lean gray horse staring at her expectantly.

"Yes," she answered nervously, almost in a questioning matter, although Samuel seemed satisfied with that answer and took off.

Of course she was unwell. Particularly now that she'd unintentionally begun to wonder who would ruin the walk. Will it be Samuel exacting his revenge, her wild horse from hell, or her embarrassingly poor riding skills.

Although as they walked Seraphina was finally calming down. Her stomach pain and flashes of heat had stopped. Her horse walked steadily as she held the reins firmly and Samuel hadn't uttered a word. It all appeared to go smoothly. That is, until Samuel turned onto what seemed to be a path that led away from the manor.