Chapter One

Let me carry your bags up, I won't have you slipping on the steps and breaking your neck,” He grinned.

I nodded not rejecting his offer, I had only met this man not even twenty minutes ago and he had offered me a lift home in the pouring rain, I refused at first but then a rumble of thunder hit I quickly changed my mind.

Ok when the rain dies down make a run for it,” He turned his car off and we sat waiting for the rain to slow a little, when it did it we made a break for it, unlucky for us the rain started up even harder as I closed his car door shut.

Both of us were soaked, I looked over at the man standing in my kitchen, his white shirt clinging to his body, it was pretty much see though, droplets of water running down off his dark hair and onto his face. I took a breath and realised I didn't even know his name, stranger danger was singing into my brain.

I'm Charlotte.”

Chris, well I guess I should head off” he spoke running a hand through his wet hair, another clap of thunder followed by a flash of lightening lit up the sky.

No you can't drive in this weather, stay for dinner and I will get you a change of clothing, my way of saying thanks for the ride home” I blurted out before I could stop myself.

Twenty minutes later I had given him some of Adam's clothing to change into and we sat in the kitchen still listening to the wild storm brew outside, it didn't take much to convince him to stay, just a beer and, I had never had a guy up here before and well my brother doesn't count.

He took a swig of his beer then started to tell me about himself, he was a lawyer, well he was a partner in a law firm, turns out it was the same law firm that I had been asked to take photos for their new business cards they were having done next week.

Dinner was nothing but comfortable as we talked more, just as we had finished the power had flicked off leaving us in the darkness. I couldn't see a thing at all.

Do you own a torch or candles?” Chris asked

Half hour later the living room was lit up with candles as we both sat in front of the blazing fire, I looked around and laughed slightly “you know this is just like some romantic thing out of the movies”

True but it isn't romantic until I do this,” He spoke softly as he leaned closer towards me, cupping my cheek with his free hand as he lowered his mouth over mine, kissing me ever so softly.

He pulled back and I could see a frown over his face that lit up by the fire “shit you’re not dating anyone are you?”

No, so why don't you get back over here and kiss me again?” I pulled him closer towards me by his shirt, our lips meeting more passionately this time. This was definitely a great way to pass the storm by, making out in front of a fire in a room only lit by candles was a night I'd never forget.

This was meant to be the best day of our lives, the day we had been waiting nine long months for, and the one day I needed him the most he wasn't here, I waited and waited for exactly five whole days and nothing, not even a phone call.