110 - Mirram's Worst Nightmare

En başından başla

Jason met her unblinking eyes, then scoured the letter for a second destination, even as he knew he'd find none. He shook his head,

"No, this is where we stay the night."

A moment of silence as three pairs of eyes gawked at him, then Alanna turned again to the inn.

"I take it Meya's serving in the Lady's chambers, then." She nodded slowly, then a trembling smile lit her face aglow, "What an honor. And how so generous of the Lady. She must be a favorite, Mirram!"

Alanna rattled her husband's arm in excitement. Mirram stood blinking dumbly up at the towering shadow that was the inn,

"I guess Freda does perform miracles." He said hoarsely. However, having finally realized what this entailed, Jezia faltered, shaking her head, her face bone-white in the light of the lamppost,

"I don't care how much of an honor it is, I am not sleeping next to Lady Arinel's chamberpot."

"Hush, Jezia." Jason scolded. The three adults met eyes, then ventured forth as one. Jezia shuffled in their wake, grumbling about Meya forcing her to share in her torment and how she'd empty Lady Arinel's digested dinner on Meya's head the following morning.

The doorman eyed them from windswept hair to raggedy hay slippers as they lined up before him. Jason cleared his throat,

"This is Mirram and Alanna Hild." He gestured at the couple, who nodded vigorously. "Their daughter Meya serves the Lady Hadrian, and the Lady has graciously allowed us to meet her here."

The doorman's suspicion melted to terror, which he hid with a bow, then surfaced with a nervous smile.

"Ah, you're guests of the Lady Hild?"

Alanna shared raised eyebrows with Mirram and Jason, then corrected with a hasty grin,

"Yes, but just Meya Hild—"

"Please, do come in. I shall lead the way."

The doorman bowed and thrust back the door, seeming not to have heard the last part. After sharing another round of befuddled looks, the four trooped inside. Perhaps the inn referred to every guest as Lord or Lady as a rule, concluded Jason. That didn't explain the Crimson Hog, however.

The doorman led them across the bright chandelier-lit hall, up the varnished wooden staircase, then down the carpeted floor of the left wing. He stopped halfway through, between two gleaming oaken doors.

"This room is for Sir and Madam Hild. And this room is for Sir and Madam Boszel." He flourished his hand towards the door on the left, the right, then beyond,

"The Lady Hild is with the Lord Hadrian's entourage in the right wing. I shall notify her of your arrival. Please wait inside. She will be visiting presently."

He handed keys to Mirram and Jason, bowed deeply then retreaded his footsteps. Jason watched his shrinking figure until he knocked on a door deep into the right wing and vanished into the room, shared another look of bewilderment with Alanna, then filed into the Hilds' room.

Now that she wouldn't be roommates with the Lady's chamberpot, Jezia's mood lifted. She dashed into the room, prancing from one luxury to another. Jason dragged his tired feet towards the nearest chair by the fireplace, halfheartedly chiding her.

Mirram, however, had on a dark expression as he eyed the four-poster bed peeking from behind blue silk curtains, the roaring stone fireplace hosting a circle of high-backed wooden chairs, the powder-blue carpet woven with golden thread, the windows offering a view of the bustling town square. His fist clenched over the knot of his bundle, he stood in the doorway, not even deigning to set down their belongings or take one step further.