The Rogue Knight: 13

Late the next morning, me, Cole, Jace, and Skye climbed out of a hired coach and onto a shabby street corner. We all wore new clothes that had been dropped by the townhouse late that morning, and Skye carried a written invitation.
She looked prim in a white blouse and tweed skirt. Cole and Jace wore buttoned shirts, pressed trousers, and brown leather shoes. I had been given a blue, fairly comfortable dress, and Skye had made me curl my hair.
Skye led the way to an alley between a rundown pawnshop and a moneylender. Iron grates guarded the windows of both businesses.
The cobblestone roadway was knobby enough that I worried about turning an ankle, especially in the stupid heels that Skye had given me.
As they reached the entrance of the alley, a pair of tough guys detached from the wall to bar the way. One of them wore a flat cap and had a pronounced underbite. The other had a wide scar that curved from below one ear to his
upper lip.
"Nice folks don't go this way," said the guy with the underbite. He kept both hands in his pockets.
"None of us are nice," Skye replied.
The thugs parted to let us pass. I hurried after
Skye, keeping my eyes on the uneven cobblestones.
The first stretch of the alley curved. When it straightened, I saw that it ran onward for an unrealistic distance, shrinking to nothing before an end came into view.
Merriston was a large city, but I didn't think it was big enough to contain this alley.
"No way," Jace said.
"Illusion." Skye replied. "If we go too far, we'll step through false ground and into a pit filled with spikes. Or something equally delightful."
I noticed Jace slowed his pace, keeping Skye and Cole a little ahead of him. A small smile curved my face. He hadn't survived so many Sky Raider missions by being stupid.
The rough walls of the alley, constructed from fitted stone blocks, soared unusually high on both sides, with no doors or windows. Ivy spilled down from the top in some places. Skye held her invitation in one hand, glancing at it as they walked.
"Do you have a map on there?" Cole asked.
"No map," she said. "But as we approached the alley, the card told me what to say when those thugs asked for the password. Mother suggested I keep it handy."
"What are we looking for?" I asked.
"This leads to a service entrance," Skye said. "I bet sections of these walls are false. There must be many hidden defenses. We've already passed
a few scrubbers. We're almost certainly being watched."
I decided not to talk too much if we might be overheard. Most of this mission would be played by ear. The Silver Lining was only open in the evenings, and through the night. Since the confidence lounge was currently closed, the workers were either sleeping, relaxing, studying, or doing behind the scenes chores.
Me, Cole, Jace, and Skye would poke our noses into as many places as possible in the hope of coming across Dalton.
I could barely believe I was about to see him.
Dalton would be so surprised. I wonder how I would have felt if Dalton had just shown up one day to rescue me from the Sky Raiders. It was too mind-blowing to really imagine.
Skye stopped. "See?" She held up the invitation.
All it had on it was an arrow pointing left. "This just appeared."
Turning left, Skye experimentally pushed a hand through the wall.
We passed through the seeming into a dim, narrow stairwell that descended to an iron door.
I noticed that the arrow vanished from the invitation and a quote appeared: "Nobody else deserves me."
A string dangled from a small hole in the door.
Skye tugged it, and a bell clanged. A moment later, a peephole slid open. "Why should we let you in?" a man asked.
"Nobody else deserves me," Skye replied.
The door opened. We passed a few armed guards and reached a second iron door. A guard there tapped an elaborate rhythm on the door with a small hammer. It opened, and we kept going.
We walked up a staircase and into a lovely courtyard. Flamingos waded in a dark, shallow pond. Trees with deeply groved bark grew in fancifully contorted shapes. Dressed in togas, lovely women and handsome men roamed winding paths, softly playing a variety of instruments. The area smelled of moss and damp grass.
A woman with metallic golden skin and vibrant orange eyes approached us. "Skye Ryland?"
she asked.
"Yes," Skye replied, showing the invitation.
"Along with my three young friends."
"Please follow me," the woman said. We crossed the courtyard to a heavy wooden door and entered a grand hall full of large portraits. I saw a few people walking around, all dressed in gray robes. One was about my age. None were Dalton.
We walked through an insubstantial fireplace full of blazing logs and into another hallway.
After passing several doors, the woman showed us through a mirror at the end of the hall.
I found myself in a spacious office. The entire back wall was the side of an enormous aquarium where three white narwhals swam, horns shining like silver. At a desk before the aquarium sat a plump man, bald on top, but with long gray hair dangling along the edges.
He seemed like a regular human except for his eyes—bulbous mounds with tiny holes at the peaks. They swiveled like a chameleon's.
The man rose as they entered. "Skye Ryland," he said, pening his arms wide and smiling. "I never expected to see you here."
"Hello, Gustus," she said. "This is Kendal, Cole, and Jace."
"Splendid kids, no doubt," he said without a trace of sincerity. "The last time I saw you, I believe you were chased out of a party I attended."
"Good memory," Skye said.
"I understand you're looking for work?" he asked, coming around to stand in front of his desk.
"That's right," Skye said.
"Imagine my surprise when Lady Madeline contacted me this morning," he said. "I used to drop hints about you coming to work for me.
Those advances never drew any interest."
"Many choices are determined by timing,"
Skye said.
Gustus leaned back against his desk.
"Interesting thought. Why reach out to me now? Common knowledge has you involved with revolutionaries."
"I've lived a little," Skye said. "Learned some hard lessons. I want something stable. I want to
work on my enchanting. I could be useful here.
My abilities have increased."
Gustus wagged a finger at her. "That I believe.
I'm not concerned about your talent. I'm more interested in your motives. I'd hate for your dear mother to suffer another blow. You'll get eaten alive if you think you can use a position here to help the resistance. Absolutely skeletonized."
"I didn't come to you when I was involved with those people," Skye said.
"Those people?" Gustus chuckled. "Am I to believe you've severed all ties, burned all bridges?"
"I've made some big changes in my life," Skye said. "I'd be a fool to come here with an agenda."
"It was foolish to come here at all," Gustus said.
"When old Alderman Campos about the message from your mother, he almost posted guardsmen here to arrest you. We debated the issue for the better part of an hour. In the end, he became more interested in watching you. Not in the hope you'll prove you've mended your ways. He decided this move is so preposterous, it must be motivated by a tremendous need. A need none of us can guess. What game are you playing, Skye?"
"He can watch all he likes," Skye said. "So can you. All you'll see is a first-class illusionist practicing her trade."
Gustus rubbed a hand over his bald scalp. "Yes, yes, I suppose. I can't fathom what you would expect to gain. Neither can Campos. It's a recipe for curiosity. Up until this moment, you've practiced your spycraft with such aplomb.
You had disappeared. You were truly unseen.
And now you surface here. A neutral observer would call it a massive blunder."
"Unless I'm serious," Skye said. "Unless I have no hidden motives."
"Wouldn't that be amusing?" Gustus said.
"What about these kids?" His bulging eyes swiveled to regard me, Cole, and Jace. "Are they talented?"
"No," Skye said. "They're my servants. I'm fond of them. We're a package deal."
"Which of you is Cole?" Gustus asked enthusiastically.
"I am," Cole said.
"What is she up to?" Gustus asked chummily.
"She wants a job here," Cole said.
"What has she been doing?"
"Not much," Cole said.
"What do you do for her?"
"I help out," Cole said. "I serve her meals. I get the door."
Gustus walked over to Cole and crouched forward, his chameleon eyes twitching out of sync with each other. "There is a hint of shaping
ability about you," he said. "Something odd. I don't recognize it."
"Neither do I," Cole said.
Gustus turned to Jace. "Tell me why Skye is really here, and I will make you rich beyond your wildest imaginings."
"I've worked for some wealthy people," Jace said. "And I have a good imagination."
"I'll give you enough to live comfortably for the rest of your days. She can't punish you here.
Tell me what I want to know and you're set for life."
"Really?" Jace asked.
"Yes."
Jace shrugged. "Easiest money I've ever made.
She's here for a job."
I coughed to cover a laugh.
Gustus stared at him shrewdly. "You profess there is no other motive?"
"Yes."
"Give it five years. If Skye remains true, I'll owe you. Fair?"
"It was a big promise for such an easy question," Jace said. "I can wait."
"Or you can visit me privately," Gustus said. "If you have good information, my offer still stands. It's up to you." He went to Skye. "Your servants are not useless. Neither boy was completely forthright with me, that much was plain, but I'm not sure what they're hiding. Not bad for young ones."
"You see deception wherever you look," Skye said.
"As long as I look at people," Gustus replied.
"Surely you grasp why some might question your motives. If you had been imprisoned and then made this offer, I'd be more inclined to believe you, though less eager to grant the request."
"Does this mean I get the job?" Skye asked.
"Of course I'll hire you," Gustus said. "You're plenty qualified, and I'm infinitely curious to learn what this is really about." He licked his lips, eyes stretching. "It's hard to resist a good intrigue."
"Before I agree," Skye said, "I want to see where I'll be working, know how I'll be compensated, and meet some of my fellow enchanters. I take it you provide accommodations?"
"The staff all live here," Gustus said. "We're a tight-knit family."
"When can I start?" Skye asked.
"I'd prefer immediately," Gustus said.
"Not today," Skye said. "I have to say some goodbyes and set some affairs in order.
Tomorrow could work, if I like the accommodations and your terms."
"Take care what affairs you manage," Gustus said. "Many eyes will be watching."
"And the kids?" Skye asked.
Gustus went and stood between us. "You three want to live and work here?"
"If Skye does," Cole said.
"I'd be your boss," Gustus explained. "You'd take orders from some of my underlings. Not from her."
"I want to make sure I like it here," Jace said.
"Have a look around with Skye," Gustus said.
"Only fair. Incidentally, without enchanting talent, it's very competitive to be even the lowest servant here. We only hire the sharpest people from the best families in Elloweer."
"They won't disappoint," Skye promised.
"Make no mistake," Gustus said, looking from me, to Cole, to Jace and back. "Skye is your ticket in here. Whether you stay is up to you. Follow orders, work hard, be courteous, and you'll do fine."
"Thank you," I said, silently hoping we were almost done. It felt ridiculous to jump through all these hoops when I knew we didn't actually plan on staying any longer than it took to find Dalton. I had waited a long time to see my friend again, and now that we were so close, every second of delay was torture.
Gustus returned to his desk and sat down.
"Skye, have your look around, then return and speak with me. Leave the kids outside next time." He waved one hand. The woman with golden skin entered the room. "Yes, Gustus," she said.
"Leona, escort these three around the grounds,"
he said.
"Show them where they would stay if they join us here. Introduce them as seems prudent.
Then bring them back here."
"As you will," Leona said. She touched Skye's elbow. "Come."