Chapter 14 - Ball Bearings

Start from the beginning

"Let's not talk about that right now," he cut in. "Right now, you work on getting that suit to help you get the spheres out of there. Or think of it as getting the suit to help you get something to eat."

"Oh, so you're in on that too, huh?"

He shrugged a shoulder and dropped his eyes. "I don't like it, but Ehnii made a good point."

Willow looked past him to the food and bulb of water on the bench and her mouth watered.

Dethrhhek tapped her chin and said, "You can do this." Then he stepped back and closed the door. The lock engaged and he stared at her for several long moments before turning and walking away.

"Assholes," She grumbled, glancing again at the food and water.

With a sigh she sat on the floor, crossed her legs, and stared at the ball bearings. Then she flipped them off.

***

The door clunked and stuck as Dethrhhek walked onto the bridge to find his pilot, navigator, communications officer, and his second in command smiling at him.

His steps slowed. "What?" he asked, narrowing his eyes.

"How's everything going with the lovely alien?" Zashiin asked.

"That is none of your business," Dethrhhek said, shaking his head. "Now give me a status report."

"We heard back from Captain Xenshel, but not the others. The Ssketch ship is still docked at Ahenao Station and Jeancheo is slowing their resupply. We should be there in twelve hours," Zashiin said.

"Thanks. Have you already sent a docking request for us?" Dethrhhek asked.

"No. I wanted confirmation that we were actually going to dock first. Captain Xenshel is on his way to rendezvous with us. Shouldn't we wait?"

Dethrhhek shook his head. "We need to resupply anyway so we might as well do some recon while we're at it. We don't move against them, though."

"And the alien?" Zashiin asked.

"What about her?" Dethrhhek asked, his tone more defensive than he'd intended.

"What do you plan to have her do while we're all off the ship?"

Dethrhhek hadn't thought of that. She was an unregistered species. He couldn't just take her onto the station with him, and he couldn't leave her on the ship alone. His crew had been deep in the pit for close to a Tilian year and deserved some time off the ship. He didn't feel right ordering anyone to stay onboard.

"Luckily we have about twelve hours to figure it out," Dethrhhek said.

"If I may suggest," Zashiin said, "I noticed she has little hands. Tothetto will be conducting repairs and keeps complaining that he can't reach."

"Can't reach what?"

"Everything! Have you ever listened to him fix anything?"

Dethrhhek raised an eyebrow. "Aurora," he said, "is Tothetto repairing anything right now?"

"Affirmative, Captain."

"Open a channel and let me hear him."

A grumbling voice came over the com. "Son of the pit. Every forsaken time it's always something... damned fat fingers. Can't... reach..."

"Aurora, close the channel," Dethrhhek said, chuckling.

"Well, Zashiin, are you comfortable with an alien working on the ship while we're away?" Dethrhhek asked.