Chapter 1

Being a thief doesn't pay that much. Not that I'm not good at it, I am. But people rarely have more than a couple of coins on them whenever I sneak a hand into their pockets.

So when Mr. Slugworth gave me a job, I just couldn't refuse. Not only is he powerful here, but he also has a lot of chocolate and therefore a lot of money.

It was a simple job, really. Mr. Slugworth wanted me to steal some recipes for chocolate from a man named Willy Wonka. I didn't ask why he wanted the recipes. I don't get paid to ask why. Suppose that Mr. Slugworth wants to recreate Wonkas chocolate and sell it as his own?

Either way, why doesn't matter to me. I heard from word on the street that Willy Wonka was supposed to sell chocolate on this market today. Would he be the kind of guy to have some recipes in his pockets?

A lot happens at the market. Your property can disappear quickly if you're not careful.

I stood by the corner, looking at some of the fresh fruts that were for sale. When I get paid by Mr. Slugworth, I'll treat myself to some fresh fruit. Maybe even some meat. Or maybe a new cloak?

After an hour of waiting, he appeared. Mr. Slugworth had described Mr. Wonkas appearence for me, but had failed to describe how attractive the brown haired chocolate maker was.

He's tall, with brown curly hair and always carrying a smile. A brown hat, a maroon coloured coat and also a cane. Don't get why he even has a cane. I've seen him walk without it many times. I've also seen it defy gravity. Don't know how to explain that one.

He immediately welcomed people to him, singing and dancing as he sold more and more chocolate. For a short moment, I got distracted by the show. Kind of reminded me of a cirkus and he was a performer.

I don't think I've ever seen someone so... Happy, just to sell some chocolate.

Well, making money is fun.

I started moving through the crowd towards my target. People surrounded him, so he wasn't that easy to reach.

Then, I was beside him. I stole a quick glance at him. Shining hazel eyes. A bright smile toward a customer to his right as I came up to his left.

I walked past him, but before taking the step away, I quickly slid my hand into his pocket and grabbed whatever I could get my hands on. In less than a second, I'd moved on.

I used to get an adrenaline rush whenever I'd stolen something. But now it's just habit.

"Hey, wait!" I froze for a second as I recognised Willy Wonkas voice. Then I ran. I ran as quickly as I could, taking a left turn down the alley. I didn't dare to look back. I know that he was after me, based on the footsteps.

I jumped over a crate. Grabbed a broom and threw it at Willy. Still running, I saw as he catched it.

I'm a good runner. But to my surprise, Willy was a good runner, too. Willy caught up to me and used a broom to push me against the wall of a building. The same broom I had just thrown at him.

"Whoa, whoa, calm down, miss. Please." He said, his face only a few centimetres from mine. My heart was beating hard underneath my chest.

"Let me go!" I said through gritted teeth.

"I'm sorry lady, but I believe you stole from me."

"You're crazy! I would never steal anything." I lied and struggled against the broom.

"But, I can see my recipes that you pickpocketed in your clenched hand." Willy persisted and looked at my fist. He's not wrong. Had no time to actually hide the evidence.

"Just- Let go of me, and I'll give them back!" I was lying again.

Willy blinked. Then smiled.

"Oh, thank you! I appreciate that." He said, relieved, and backed away from me, still carrying the broom.

Really? That was easy. I stared at him for a short moment. Is he really this naive? Well, he's about to learn not to trust thieves.

I took a step closer. Then stepped one leg behind his leg. I pulled my leg around his ankles, sweeping him off his feet and onto his back.

Before Willy Wonka had even had a chance to react, I had escaped.