Mistlefoe

"Geh. Why do we have to put that up every year?" Boruto turned and stared with annoyance in the direction of his foyer. "I hate trying to avoid that thing every time I walk into the kitchen, ya know."

"Why not?" Hinata smiled. "It's fun. Besides, if I don't hang it up, you won't let me hug you."

"Leave the hugs for dad." He yawned. "I'm going to play video games."

"Ah! Don't forget, everyone's coming over for a Christmas party tomorrow. Make sure to clean your room!"

"Yeah yeah, I know." 

Boruto yawned and walked up the stairs. His room was already pretty tidy due to the fact that his mom scolded him the second it wasn't. But he picked up a few stray objects here and there before sitting down his chair and turning on his computer. 

"Hmm..." The blue light illuminated his face in the dark. "I don't have any new e-mails... Hm? What's this? A new concept for Christmas... Mistle... foe?"

Squinting to see the tiny letters, he clicked the email and began to read. 

Tired of your parents hanging up that dreaded leafy green plant as an excuse to show their affection? This Christmas, try something new! Mistlefoe! Turn your friends into enemies! Your lovers into rivals! Enjoy your holiday season with vigorous fights to the death! Rock paper scissors, arm wrestling, staring contests and more! 

"I don't think rock paper scissors counts as a vigorous fight to the death... But this is loads better than trying to make sure I avoid that stupid thing! Hehe..."

Boruto shut the computer down and reclined back into his bed. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips. Maybe tomorrow wouldn't be such a drag after all. 

.  .  .

As usual, Sarada was the first to show up. Sakura held up a bottle of wine to Hinata with a wink, and they both disappeared into the kitchen to start setting up. But as Sarada took off her shoes, Boruto was calmly waiting, his arms folded, standing against the wall under the dreaded green plant.

She looked up. And if it wasn't his imagination, her face grew slightly redder. "W-What are you doing there like an idiot? Hurry up and move so I can pass through." 

"Hehe..." He smirked. "This year, the meaning of this stupid plant changed."

"Huh?" She walked closer, but not close enough to be under it with him. "The meaning?"

"Instead of mistletoe, this is... Mistlefoe!" He grabbed her arm and pulled her under.

"Wai- Boruto!"

"The first challenger appeared!" Himawari was suddenly commentating from her spot, hidden on the other side of the wall. "What will it be? Rock paper scissors? An arm wrestle? Maybe a staring contest?!"

"Huh? What is this?" Sarada raised her eyes to the plant and then back to a grinning Boruto. "Is this some sort of prank?"

"Pick one! You don't get to pass through unless you win. Ah! But if we arm wrestle, you can't use jutsu! That'll be totally unfair!"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not participating in your stupid little..." And then she looked at Himawari's expectant face. "...Alright, fine, let's just get this over with. Rock paper scissors it is."

His grin widened as he readied his fist on his palm. "Come on!"

Sarada sighed. "Rock!"

"Paper!"

"Scissors!"

"Shoot!"

"Hehe!" Boruto's fist raised into the air. "I knew you were gonna pick scissors! You always start with scissors."