Hustle And Holiday Bustle Part II

Start from the beginning

After my coffee was made, I started chopping up some of the fruits and vegetables we'd need and almost had that tray ready to go when I heard Maddy start to whimper. I quickly put the tray away and headed to the nursery. No doubt our youngest was ready for her breakfast by that point in the morning.

I got Maddy fed in record time. Her breakfast consisted of some oatmeal with lots of cut-up fresh strawberries. She was hungry because she didn't waste any time swallowing the small bites I was feeding her. Just when we finished, Sophia staggered into the kitchen.

Soph's hair was disheveled from sleeping and was sticking up on the right side of her head. Her eyes were half open as she tried to mitigate the bright kitchen lighting. I just stood up when she appeared and Maddy was still sitting in her high chair. I had left some strawberry pieces on her tray that she was using her hands to eat.

"Morning, Bug. How did you sleep?" Sophia sort of grumbled as she gave me a familiar hug. Just like her Mama did a few hours ago, Sophia tried to fall back asleep standing up as she buried her face into my upper stomach. I guess I'm good for something when it comes to my girls.

"Hey Soph, can you do me a favor and go gently wake up your Mama? She slept-in during the last hour, but wanted me to make sure she was awake. Go easy on her though. She was up for a few hours this morning with your sister. Maddy is breaking in another tooth and was rather fussy."

"Okay Mom..." and off Sophia went. I heard our bedroom door open and almost close again. 

'Well, time to get Maddy cleaned up I thought,' as I extricated her from the high chair and carried her down the hall to the nursery bathroom. She had bits of dried oatmeal and red stains on her face, hands and even hair from the strawberries.

It took about 20 minutes to get Madelyn cleaned up and smelling like her lavender baby soap and shampoo. I got her dressed in a onesie that morning knowing that she'd need to eat lunch before we redressed her for our open house party. 

We headed back down the hall to the kitchen when it struck me that Soph and Arizona were not awake. Still holding our baby, I quietly pushed our bedroom door open. In the dim room lighting, I could see Arizona spooning Sophia as the two of them slept. Soph was snoring a bit and Arizona was breathing heavily as she slept.

'Great, I sent in the wrong wake-up service!' I had to laugh to myself as I admired how adorable both of my girls were, all cuddled up together. Unfortunately, despite how cute they were, it was time to wake them up. I sat down on the edge of Arizona's side, kissed her cheek and whispered in her ear.

"Sweetie? It's time to get up. It's after 7 and time for us to get cracking before folks show up at 1 o'clock." (Our guests were invited to stop by between 1 to 6 pm that afternoon and evening before we concluded the event.)

"Callie? I'm sorry and didn't mean to sleep so late." Arizona started hugging and kissing Soph in order to rouse her from her slumber. It worked and Sophia started coming around again.

"It's my fault, Arizona. Looks like I sent the wrong messenger in to wake you up since she decided to go back to sleep with you!"

Arizona giggled while she kissed and tightly held our oldest again.

"I heard that Mom and it's not my fault that Mama and I snuggled and fell back to sleep!"

"She's right Callie, it's not Sophia's fault, it's mine. She crawled in bed to wake me up and I startled hugging her, but didn't let go. I don't think it took us very long to both fall back asleep again. Besides, I see nothing wrong with the fact I got to snuggle with all three of my girls this morning, at least at some point."