[ METHODOLOGY ]

( a/n : play "An Empty Bliss Beyond This World , Stage 3 - The Caretaker" on loop ! )

( cw : gore, body horror, hallucinations )

.

The denial and uncertainty is only blissful for the first few seconds.

"This is just a . . . an elaborate joke, right?" you ask. But you know it isn't, because you're trembling and your Sensor Telekinesis isn't working and your arm is still burning with fierce intensity. Every part of your body hurts it almost feels like a bad dream.

The Doctor laughs, the sound akin to a predator feasting on a prey. "Oh, you're so cute, so innocent." He leans in closer to you, face almost touching. "I'm afraid I'll have to destroy that."

You shudder even after he's withdrawn. "I wouldn't have gone through so much lengths for worthless reasons like sharing mirth. I'm here for research. Enlightenment. I'm sure you're wondering why."

I'm not I don't want to know please please let me go. You want to say, but the words lodged itself on your throat.

He walks a full circle around your immobilized figure as he continues, "Even the immense prohibition of Phantom studies could barely purge the curiousity of people seeking after understanding the abyss, or at least, finding ways to derive use of their manifestations. One even discovered how Phantoms aren't inherently born from mere sins like pride or greed or any kind of desires. Apparently, it seems like a lot has failed to realize fear can also be a factor."

He stops. Turns to face you with a sick smile, eyes its own abyss of madness. "And I see you, hero. You who is a witch, hungry for attention and appreciation. But it's not out of greed, but rather, a fear for the alternative; rejection, hatred, loneliness. A ghost motivated by terror. And I'm quite, quite curious . . ."

The Doctor walks away from your peripheral, and the most you can do is turn your head a fraction of an inch to see a tray showcasing an array of blades, tissues, vials and syringes.

"I'd love to find out what will occur once I desentisize a Phantom from their core energy. Would they cease to exist? Will anything happen at all?"

( what if i subject you to more fear until you become numb of it all? )

No. No no no no no this couldn't be happening. You're no subject, no stepping stone for anyone. You're the Hero. Surely you're off limits. Strong and important and safe. You desperately try to reach out for your power.

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

"Please," you plead, "you can't I— I'm not someone you can cut up, no Phantoms are, this will go back to you someday and, and . . . " A dreadful pause of unsteady breaths. "You can't do this."

"Oh I absolutely can." He seems to be more amused seeing you shake and stutter before him. He picks up a syringe and leans toward you. "You're here to help me prove things, Hero, and I'll be needing you . . . defenseless and alone."

You hate those words. How much did you fight to not be seen as vulnerable? How much did you do whatever it takes to be accepted? To not be alone? How much wasn't enough?

You try to once more fight off your bounds, but the straps are far too tight, too thick. One more squeeze and it might halt your circulation. Desperate, you attempt to crawl back, shrink away— anything to put some distance between the two of you— but none of it helped. You're out in the open.

Defenseless and alone.

You realize that, and he realizes that you did. So with newly found flourish, he flicks the syringe and grips your arm so damn tight you feel it bruising.