⚀ Chapter 1: Ace in the Hole

Começar do início

"He's not going to last past the first week of training camp," Zach griped.

"It doesn't change the fact that he's yours."

Zach tilted his head back and jetted out a breath. Annoying as it was, Trace had a point. "Alright," he said, dropping his chin and squaring his shoulders. "Where is the scrawny little bugger?"

Trace pursed his lips in disapproval and Zach braced himself for another lengthy lecture about disrespectful nicknames, but none came. Instead, he jerked his head to the right and said, "Last I saw he was heading toward the blackjack tables."

Zach turned to Sienna. Putting a hand over his heart, he sighed and said, "As much as I hate to leave you, I must. My duty as captain comes first and there's a lost, wayward soul that is in desperate need of my help."

"Could you be any more dramatic?" Trace asked in a flat voice.

In response, Zach fell to one knee and brought Sienna's hand up for a kiss. "Don't fret, my lady. I'll be back. Parting is such sweet sorrow."

She let out a good-natured laugh. "Your sacrifice is noted. I'll keep the seat for you."

"Thank you. I shall speak of your graciousness to everyone I encounter."

Sighing, Trace grabbed the back of Zach's shirt and pulled him up. "Stop flirting and go do your job, Captain."

Straightening his clothes, he threw the black haired boy a scowl and went to find Gavin. When he entered the blackjack room he was surprised to see it empty. Normally, the six tables were packed.

A noise by the far wall drew his attention. Craning his neck, he looked around the corner and stopped short. A girl was on the floor picking up a deck of cards, but that wasn't what surprised him. It was the pair of bright blue panties with a red and yellow Superman logo on full display that gave him pause.

"You'd think with superpowers you'd be a little more coordinated," he said loudly.

Her head whipped around as his voice echoed across the room. Dark brown curls clipped back in a ponytail bounced in time with the movement reminding him of a shot of espresso. Eyes filled with suspicion, she asked, "What are you talking about?"

He motioned to her upturned skirt. "Probably not the best idea."

Confusion clouded her eyes. She reached back to pat her skirt and when all she felt was skin, her eyes widened in horror. Lips parting, she let out a small sound of distress and scrambled to her feet. "Thanks," she said hastily, smoothing down the black cotton skirt.

He gave her time to regroup before saying with a smirk, "Nice panties."

If he thought she'd shrink back and turn red like a tomato, he was sorely mistaken. Lifting her chin, she looked him square in the eye. "I like to think so."

Taking a step closer, he asked, "How exactly does one buy Superman underwear?"

She tapped her black low-top shoes against the hardwood floor. "You buy them in a pack with other comic book heroes."

Amusement lit his face. "You have more?"

"And if I do?" she challenged.

"I want to see."

"No," she replied in a flat voice.

He cast her a hurt look. "You didn't even think about it."

"I don't have to think about it. Under no uncertain terms are you seeing my underwear."

"But I've already seen it," he pointed out.

"Let me clarify. Under no uncertain terms from this moment on are you seeing my underwear."