Prologue

Picture of: Kitsune Sohma 

I do not own Fruits Basket, or any of their characters. The only one that is mine is Kitsune. I do not own this photo.

Warning: Mentions of abuse and suicide. 

Kitsune Sohma has always been alone. She was supposed to be a twin but due to her mother developing Vanishing twin syndrome Kitsune was left alone to be the only child born that day. When Kitsune was born Akito Sohma was in the room. It was rumored that the fox zodiac has not shown up in many decades due to the betrayal of the last fox zodiac that ran away and died not by their god's side. Akito Sohma knew that this child would be the new fox zodiac and Akito had a plan to make sure this little fox wouldn't be a traitor like the last one. Kitsune Sohma however did not change when her father was holding her, it wasn't until Akito forcibly pushed Kitsune's infant body into her father's chest that Kitsune changed into a small red fox. If only in her first moments Kitsune knew that she was given the short end of the stick maybe she would've been more prepared for what was to come next. Her mother rejected her instantly crying that Kitsune was a devil child that killed her counterpart. Kitsune's mother had a fit and begged her husband to try again for a new child to replace Kitsune with. 

The young child does not remember her beginning years of her life. She only remembers vaguely of only living with her parents until her first birthday when her mother and father finally had a new child a girl like Kitsune named Tanuki. Instead of the bright red hair and peach orbs Kitsune bore due to the zodiac curse, Tanuki resembled their father with dark brown hair and hazel orbs. A beautiful baby and a blessing are how their parents described Tanuki. Tanuki who didn't bare the dreadful zodiac curse was blessed with love while Kitsune was sent to live with Akito not long after her little sister was born. Doomed to watch her little sister grow up from a distance. Due to her mother's hatred and her father's neglect, it didn't take long for Kitsune to hate her transformation. Her mother often called her a monster whenever she visited Kitsune while she was in Akito's care. At first Akito adored Kitsune and her bright red hair and sunrise peach eyes but when Kitsune reached the age of 7, alongside Yuki, she became Akito's center of attention for abuse. 

As Kitsune grew up she started to grow into her fox zodiac traits. She was independent, elegant, intelligent and witty. But her zodiac fox's past soon caught up to her and Akito often physically, mentally and verbally abused her due to his hatred of her zodiac. He believed she wasn't trustworthy, so he decided to train her to be trustworthy. She wasn't allowed to talk to any of the zodiac's other the rat and the seahorse. Hatori saw Kitsune like a daughter he did his best to protect her but unfortunately nobody can stand in the way of Akito.

Yuki and Kitsune became best friends, being together since Kitsune's parents abandoned her, bonded by the trauma they had to adore together they were inseparable. Kitsune often took blows for Yuki and Yuki for Kitsune. They were able to find joy and happiness within each other as they grew up. They battled Akito's mental abuse with a positive mindset they instilled into each other. They would always be there for one another, right?