Chapter 10

After having a short meeting, here I was flying above the group, watching for a giant predator to come out at any moment. I could see the Raptors running on the ground with Owen following closely behind on his motorcycle.

"Everything okay up there?" He suddenly asked over the radio.

"Yeah, I don't see anything." I replied and sped up a bit. "What about you guys?"

"We're good." Owen replied.

After that, it was quiet for a bit until he spoke up again. "Hey, I was thinking. After this is over, do you maybe want to— hold up."

"What's going on?" I quickly asked, pausing for a bit and turning around to look for the others.

"The girls have stopped. It's probably nothing, just keep going." He told me.

"You sure?" I asked, wanting to go down and help them. What if someone was to get hurt? I want to be able to help them.

"Yeah, go."

I gave the ground before me a hesitant look and slowly flew forward again, wanting to hang back a bit just in case anything happens. I had a gut feeling that something was going to happen, and I was right. I think someone fired a missile, and it blew up. Fire spewed into the air and I raced back to the group.

Once I landed, I gripped my rifle and slowly walked forward. Grabbing my radio, I brought it to my mouth and quietly talked.

"What happened?"

It took awhile, but Owen finally answered.

"The Indominus, she's part Raptor." My eyes widen. "The girls have a new Alpha now. Be careful."

Just as Owen finished talking, more bullets went flying and I dived into some overgrown grass. I covered my head with my hands and squeezed my eyes shut, only opening them once the firing had stopped. I slowly stood up and frozen when I saw that a tail sticking up in the air. I slowly stepped back, but I accidentally  stepped on a branch. It let out a loud crack and I flinched at the noise.

The Raptor, who I figured out was Charlie, brought her head up and stared at me. She let out a threatening growl and slowly stepped towards me.

"Hey, it's okay." I held out my hand and slowly walked backward, trying to put as much distance between us just incase she attacked.

I clicked my tongue a few time and she straightened up, tilting her headroom the side in confusion.

"Good, I'm a friend." I softly told her and kept my hand out.

She slowly walked forward and went to sniff my hand, but before I could blink a missile shot out of no where and hit her. I was sent flying back and hit a tree, the air being knocked out of me upon impact. I gasped for air as I fell to the ground and looked at the charred grass where Charlie was just standing.

"Erin! Erin!" I heard someone call out.

"I'm over here." I gasped out and slowly pulled myself up.

"Erin! Are you okay?" Owen ran over and pulled me up by my shoulders.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Just peachy." I gave a small sarcastic smile and gave him a thumbs up.

Owen let out a sigh of relief and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he buried his head into my hair.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, just realizing what had actually happened.

"What for?" He pulled away and asked as he gave me a look of confusion.

"Charlie, she was..." I trailed off and pointed to the bits of charred grass, some of which was still on fire.

He looked at the spot with sad eyes and turned back to me. "It wasn't your fault." He said.

"I was trying to help her."

"It's okay." He put a hand on my shoulder and brought me into another hug. "At least your okay."

"What about Claire?" I pulled back and questioned.

"Shit, your right. We need to get to he lab." He grabbed my and pulled me with him as he walked. I let him guide me for a bit, bit pulled my hand away when I remembered something.

"I'll meet you there." I told him and backed up a bit.

"What? Why?"

"I can fly there." I turned around and pointed to my pack. "Sadly, It only holds one person." I told him with a sad smile. "Sorry."

"That's okay, I'll met you there." He nodded and walked forward.

"I'll probably get there first, so I'll try to see what I—"

He cut me off by grabbing the sides of my face and crashing his lips to mine. I stood there in shock for a bit, but I still didn't have enough time to respond. He quickly pulled back and rushed off.

I brought my hand up to my still tingling lips and looked his way with awe. I shook my head and shot into the sky, heading towards the lab.

One thing ran through my head as I flew away: What the hell just happened??