Chapter 2: Scarred Legacy

"Is this really what you want?" Dario asked carefully knowing fully well what this plan meant to his friend.

"Are you backing out?" Kade's tone rigid.

"No," Dario answered truthfully.

"Then let it be," Kade said.

"Does your sister know you're doing this?"

Kade stopped in his tracks. He never did but only at the mention of his only sister. "It's better if she doesn't," he believed.

"She deserves the truth, Kade," Dario insisted.

Kade ignored the heavy sensation on his heart and went to his office with Dario following him. "What's the update on Vadik Waldorf?" He rounded his table and took a seat.

"He's MIA," Dario answered. "I didn't expect any different from him. He probably suspected that his brother going missing wasn't normal."

"Doesn't matter," Kade said. "He'll most likely try to save his brother. Leave the signal on for Alexander's phone and lead his brother here."

"He wouldn't fall for that," Dario said.

"Probably not, but he'll come close enough to my territory out of curiosity," Kade explained. "We'll kill him then."

Dario faced the man he followed for over ten years now, but to this day, the only time he ever saw poisonous hatred fill Kade's eyes was when he spoke of the Waldorf family. "Is there anything else you need?" Dario asked.

"No, that's all," Kade answered as he read through the organized documents on his table.

Dario left to ensure his boss's orders were complete...

The door closed and finally Kade was left alone. He dropped the papers in his hand and leaned back in his chair, he turned away from the table and faced the massive window behind him. It was pitch black outside and the entire forest was merely shadows of black playing off the beaming moonlight. The entire property was guarded twenty-four-seven with no entry point or weakness to the fortress. He ensured that his territory was safe for his sister because he'd never let anyone hurt his family ever again.

The one who trained Kade and taught him the ways of the mafia in Italy told him that revenge would never settle the thirst in him. He needed to fuel the rage to ensure that no one took advantage of him ever again.

Kade sat in his office, which was a lot more luxurious than the alleyways and prisons he spent most his time. His fists throbbed as he remembered the sensation of beating someone up until they died. Kade became strong because he knew that the weak didn't survive on this godforsaken planet. Yet, when he came face to face with his enemy, something shifted inside him. He couldn't throw a punch and the thirst inside him hollowed out like it was never there before. The promise that consumed his days and nights ever since he learned the truth didn't blaze his path.

Kade wasn't here when his family was killed on that fateful night fifteen years ago. All he remembered was getting a phone call from a police officer about the calamity. He dropped his studies and got on the next flight back from Italy. He met Mia who was in the hospital, her entire body badly beaten to the point that her legs were fractured, arms broken and her skin sliced up all over her body. As he stared blankly at his sister who spent days in the ICU, he raked over and over again why something like this would happen to them? The Guerriero's were a respectable family who had a mere real estate business.

After a few weeks, his sister's injuries slowly healed and the horrible swelling lessened enough that she could open her mouth to speak. Kade sat next to her bed hearing her cries as she told him what happened to their family. Lucas Waldorf came to their house demanding Kade's father for the land he bought and to give his daughter to him for marriage. Their father refused and told Lucas to leave, but he left only to return that night and kill Kade's parents. Emilio who was adopted into their family as a son had died protecting Mia. And then she got the worst of it when she refused to go with Lucas. He let his men beat her up and left her barely alive to call the police and save herself. Kade held his sister as she cried herself to sleep. He didn't shed a tear though, because all the good died in him that night.