Chapter 9: Roxy

A/N: Tara, McDo? :)

***

Monday 08:21 AM

When she was six, Roxy made it her personal mission to remove Monday from existence. She “borrowed” her Ate Ria’s markers, unhooked the two calendars her mother hung on the wall at the start of the year, and zealously crossed out all the dates that fell on a Monday.

“Let’s admit it, almost everyone in this class enjoys privileges that an average student doesn't,” their teacher, Mrs. Dela Peña, griped.

Roxy’s hatred for the day did not wane with the passage of time. In fact, it has only deepened throughout the last 12 years.

Her reasons range from shallow, like Math Mondays, to tragic. They lost their parents four years ago - on a rainy Monday night.

“And I believe that as early as now, you need to learn that you won’t always get what you want.” Mrs. Dela Peña continued as she sauntered along in the middle aisle.

Through the years, Roxy grew wary of Mondays, just like how some people are leery of Friday the 13th. 

“Don’t you just love how self-righteous she can be?” Gino asked Archie who was sitting on her right.

But that morning, it was different. And even though she didn’t want to admit it to herself, it might be because of him.

Archie, who was discreetly texting from under his desk, paused and remarked, “She does have a point, you know.” 

Ping!

Roxy’s eyes grew wide just as her cheeks grew warm - she was guilty and everyone knew it.

Their teacher sighed and paused her diatribe. “How many times do I have to tell you that phones must be switched to silent during my class?”

Maghuhugas ako ng pinggan until year-end, Lord. Huwag lang ako ma-call out.

“Ms. Cristobal, take care of that will you?”

Luh!

Roxy winced and said, “Yes po! Sorry po talaga.”

Someone chuckled behind her, and she quickly turned around and glared at the culprit.

Before she could say anything, Archie whispered, “Shut it, Gino.”

That’s when she noticed that he also turned his swivel chair a few degrees and was shooting daggers at his friend.

Their gazes caught, and she cleared her throat just as the corners of his lips started to tilt up.

“You guys are starting to look the same, it’s creeping me out,” Gino whispered theatrically, his eyes twinkling.

“Mind your own business,” he reiterated, clearly annoyed. Then he pointedly looked at his sister and added, “You too, Z.”

“Me? I didn’t even say anything,” she whined. “And don’t say that, Gino. That gave me goosebumps. Ick!”

Aba, teka muna.

Roxy’s eyebrows started to rise, and she opened her mouth to call the other girl out.

“No offense, Roxy,” Z addressed her.

“Z, what did I just say?” Archie asked calmly.

“Kuya? Gino started it kaya,” Z argued. Then she narrowed her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. “Wait a minute. Why are you being so -”

“So many intellectual conversations happening along the sidelines. Would anyone among the four of you like to share?” Mrs. Dela Peña asked condescendingly.