I looked Grelle up and down carefully, taking in her appearance. No chainsaw today, but the redhead's fashion sense hasn't changed a bit. How long has it been?
"What are you doing here?" I brushed off the joke to change the subject. She boredly exhaled, almost appeasing dejected at the failure, and averted her gaze,
"Working, I suppose. I just have to hang around until I'm called to move. So boring, and this street doesn't even have a dress store. It's sad that a place like this is the most exciting thing in the area. Although..."
Giving herself a moment to think, Grelle strode past me to peek around the side of the wall,
"You're with him again. How cruel, why can't I be shopping with a hottie too? What makes you so special?"
Huh? What the hell was that supposed to mean? Helping me once didn't give Grelle the right to-!
No, take a breath. If I started shouting in such a small shop, I'd attract attention, and the last thing I wanted was to get wrapped up in whatever Grelle was doing.
Actually, I was probably lying to myself. It was pretty obvious she had some sense of attraction to the mortician and I was perhaps a little jealous at the thought of them meeting. I knew it, I didn't need to admit it out loud, of course.
I cleared my throat to bring Grelle's attention back on myself,
"It's not shopping, to be perfectly clear. We're running errands for the shop. What even is your job anyway? Why do you keep hanging around weird places?"

She furrowed her eyebrows in deep consideration before withdrawing from the corner, hands on hips,
"I can't tell someone like you. It has nothing to do with you..." Grelle trailed off before staring me down in deep thought, "Or does it?"
The redhead took a step closer my way, her heels tapping on the hard floors as she moved. Hey, what the hell was this invasion of boundaries?!
Her green eyes narrowed, but even as I backed up, she merely took another step forward,
"How much do you know? What has he told you?"
"What are you..."
I tried to back up again, but fell back into a shelf right behind me.
I could practically feel her breath on my cheek as she continued to glare me down in deep suspicion.
This person-!
I didn't understand anything, and I was getting pissed off for it! What gave Grelle the right to harass me like this?!
I opened my mouth, ready to start shouting, but before I could, the woman sighed and stepped back to stand back up straight,
"Seriously, with that look in your eyes... You don't know anything at all? How pathetic."
With a huff, she ran her fingers through her long locks before her hand fell back on her hip,
"Forget it, it's not for me to say. But if he's not telling you, it's probably for a good reason, I guess."

Suddenly, Grelle dug into the pocket of her long coat and offered a strange object out to me,
"He's hot, but I don't trust him with protecting you if you don't even know the basics. Hold onto this, it'll keep you safe, I'm sure you'll figure out what it does when you need it. And don't you dare lose or damage it, I need that back in the future!"
What I found myself looking at was a thin sheet of pink- No, it was a bookmark?
I took the item, but I was left with more questions than answers. It was a bookmark, a bookmark! How was a bookmark going to keep anyone safe?
How stupid, that confirms it. Grelle was completely insane.
I didn't think to say thank you, and could only find myself raising an eyebrow and staring the redhead down as I let myself step away.
Mental note to never approach the person that was waving a chainsaw around on your first meeting, but that should've been obvious.
I pocketed the bookmark before I returned to The Undertaker, who was already placing the purchased items in a small bag.
"Need any help?"
"Nope!" The man cheerfully gleamed to my question, not a care in the world.
He turned, about to set a hand on my head playfully, then quickly stopped himself and pulled back before touching me.
Such a strange response, it couldn't be... Because of that hallucination I had? That wasn't his fault, I was sure of it.
Was it odd to feel a bit disappointed to not be pat on the head as an adult woman?
What was wrong with me?

"Well then," The mortician chirped, "Looks like we're done~ Come along now, time to go back!"
"So soon?" It felt like we just left, did we really have to? "Can't we do something else? More shopping maybe? I have money, and I need new clothes, right?"
Despite my best begging attempts, The Undertaker still clicked his tongue in disapproval,
"Now, now, don't be playing to my sympathy, little canary, you know you're still being searched for. New clothes can wait, can't they?"
Crap, it was worth a shot.