CHAPTER FOUR

Depuis le début

After we finally arrived, Chiron began. He didn't seem to notice me, as I hid behind my older and taller sister, him being too preoccupied with the topic of the meeting.

"The Oracle has confirmed what we expected," he said after reciting the prophecy told to him by Percy, who received it from the demon halloween decoration thing, "that this quest will proceed toward the Underworld, where you will confront the god who has rebelled against his brothers. Hades."

My eyes lit up in excitement as I let out a quiet, short, breathy laugh. Gods, I wanted to go on this quest.

Chiron continued, "The entrance to Hades's domain lies under the city of Los Angeles. This is where you will journey to. Time is short." He looked around the circle at the rest of us. "I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose three to join you on this quest and ensure that we succeed."

Immediately, Percy spoke up. "Valerie." A smile stretched across my face at his response.

Chiron looked down at the boy. "Customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing. Are you sure you don't wanna hear more?"

"This thing," Percy started, "Zeus's master bolt, we need to get it back, right?"

"Yes," Chiron nodded.

"And it's gonna be hard to get, right?" he asked.

"Extraordinarily."

"And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stars for it to succeed...you'd want someone who won't hesitate when they do it."

Chiron raised a brow then turned to the group. "The first quest-mate shall be Valerie Adlao!" he announced.

I locked eye with Percy, smiling. He nodded at me and I nodded back as Chiron continued.

               I STUFFED A pair of socks into my half-full messenger bag as Sunniva walked over

               I STUFFED A pair of socks into my half-full messenger bag as Sunniva walked over. "Hey," she said. Her voise was slightly hoarse, like she'd been crying.

"Hey." I turned to look at her. She looked as though she'd been crying, too. "Are you okay?" I asked.

Sunniva pouted. "I can't believe my baby sister is going on her first quest," she sniffed, wrapping her arms around me. I groaned as she swung from side to side, rocking me back and forth.

I slapped her arms away. She sat down next to me on my bed, the springs squeaking slightly. Sunniva reached over and dropped the drachmas inside my bag.

"Are you nervous?" she asked suddenly.

I paused my movements, taking time to think. Was I nervous? I mean, this was the first time I had gone outside of camp since I'd gotten here six years ago. It was dangerous, like humankind-threatening dangerous, and one of the people I was going on the quest with I barely knew, let alone trusted.