Chapter 11- EARTH CAKES, INFLATABLES, BUTTERSCOTCH

Start from the beginning

"Nope," Chris waved his finger, ignoring her begging. "I'm tellin' her right now..."

"No!"

"I am..."

"If you do, I will be so mad!"

Chris paused, taking in her words.

"Alright, I won't..."

Lia hugged Chris's legs, relieved. She thanked him while he stared at the wall.

"I can't believe we're drunk," he spoke, itching his stubbly jaw.

"Shhh!" Lia rose, her finger on her lips. "Don't say that! My mama might hear you!"

"Oh, yeah... sorry."

There was silence between the two. The music and crowd was still loud as ever from a hallway down. The lights outside the storage room flickered quickly, the buzzing of the LED's silenced by the noise.

Chris reached over for something, struggling to find it.

"Where's the rum?" he asked, dazed and confused.

"I think..." Lia began, her voice soft and slurred. "I think it's in your hands..."

Chris looked at his left, then his right, soon laughing.

"Duh!" he uttered, flicking his brain. "Can you--can--please can you hand me a cup?"

Lia registered his words, gliding across the floor to grab a red silicone cup. She released a soft "here go" and sniffed.

Chris grabbed the cup with his large hand, getting ready to pour the liquor before stopping himself. He glanced at the ground puzzled, his eyebrows narrowing.

"Is it just me..." he started, both the liquor and the cup in his hands. "Or are there a hundred copies of this cup in my hand but on the floor?"

Lia blinked several times, looking around her. He was right. The floor was almost completely covered with cups.

"Holy smokes... you're right. You--you duped them! How?"

Chris looked down to study himself, his mouth agape.

"I don't even know..."

There was another silence.

"Do you think..." Chris began, slurring. "We're drunk?"

Lia shook her head profusely.

"Nooo!" she denied. "Of course not."

She crawled across the floor with a sly grin on her face, making her way towards him.

"Maybe just a eensy-teensy bit buzzed..." she exclaimed, pinching her fingers together to emphasize the "eensy-teensy."

Chris nodded, staring down at the girl in front of him. Lia remained on her knees, wobbling slightly, still remaining eye contact--which she wouldn't have been good at if she had been sober. Despite the major alcohol in her system, the eye contact struck a flame within her. She still had hoped it wasn't the shrimp tacos she had earlier. She preferred to keep that down in her system.

The music continued, the crowd's ambience intensifying. Lia didn't break eye contact, but then again, she barely even knew what the hell had been going on. She was just living in the moment, as well as Chris.

"You have until Friday?" Lia whispered, tilting her head upwards.

Chris stared right back at her, barely any thoughts behind his eyes.

"Until...death?"

Lia shook her head.

"Until you have to move out."