𝖑𝖝𝖎𝖎. The Invasion

[ tw: violence ]

𝖑𝖝𝖎𝖎. The Invasion

Valencia

IT'S BEEN AT LEAST two weeks since Maeve left, a week since Matt was crowned king, and a few days since Valencia saw Elle last. She can still feel her, though, her pale skin smooth and cool beneath her fingers. But the Clair girl is far, far beyond Valencia's reach. Dispatched back to the Ridge, away from the danger.

Matt would have let Val keep her here, if Arlo had allowed it. In spite of everything, an understanding is falling into place between them. Funny, Valencia used to dream of such a thing. A king who left her to her own devices and her own crown. Now, it's the best she can hope for, and a prison all the same. It traps them both, locking them away from the ones they care about most. He can't bring back Maeve, and she won't bring Elle back. Not with the Lakelander queens on the horizon and an invasion imminent. Valencia won't risk Elle's life for a few days of her own comfort.

The magnetron's new rooms in Whitefire Palace are meant for the queen, and they still echo with the presence of Reva Rivers. Everything is blue, blue, blue, from the curtains to the plush carpets, even down to the flowers wilting in an obscene amount of crystal vases. With fewer servants, the process of clearing the rooms is slow going. Valencia ends up ripping down most of the curtains herself. They're still in the salon outside her bedroom, collecting dust in a pile of cobalt-blue silk.

Valencia plans to train a little this morning, go through the motions. Run the barracks track, maybe spar with Damon if he wants. She finds herself wishing Maeve were here. She's a good workout and a good challenge. And easier to deal with than Valencia's mother.

Valencia is surprised she hasn't breezed in yet, as she often does these days. Trying to prod her daughter toward more queenly activities, as she puts it. But Val doesn't have the stomach to charm or intimidate nobles today, especially for her mother's benefit. Her parents want her to sway more Silvers, earn the loyalty they pledged to Matt. To pull allie's away from him, like saving rats from a sinking ship.

Valencia's parents want her to be his queen the way Reva was Chris'. A snake in his bed, a wolf at his side. Gathering strength and waiting for an opportunity to strike. Even though she doesn't care for Matt, and never could, somehow it feels wrong.

But if Annabel and Cedric play out their scheme . . .

Valencia has no idea where that leaves herself.

Suspended on a bridge, trapped in the middle, with both ends on fire.

The Bridge.