𝖝𝖎. The Greater Good

Blake

EVEN THOUGH it would have turned her into an icicle, Blake Scott wanted to stay behind in Trial. Not out of fear, but to prove a point. She's not some weapon to be used, not like Maeve Deuveux allowed herself to be. No one gets to tell Blake where to go or what to do. She's done with that. She's lived her entire life that way. She's here ━ with the Scarlet Guard ━ because of that. And every instinct in her tells her to stay away from the Guard's operation in Corvium, a fortress city that swallows every soldier and spits out their bones.

And she would. Except that her brother, Ben, is only a few miles away now, still firmly stuck in a trench. Even with her ability, Blake will need help to get to him. And if she wants anything from this stupid Guard, she's going to have to start giving them something in return. Cyrus made that clear enough.

Blake likes her, more now after she apologized for the "utilizing" comment. She says what she means. She doesn't mope, though she has every right. Not like Matt, who broods around every corner, refusing to help and then relenting when he feels like it. The fallen prince exhausts Blake. She doesn't know how Maeve could stand him or his inability to choose a damned side ━ especially when there's only one side he can possibly pick. Even now he blisters, wavering between wanting to protect the Silvers of Corvium and wanting to tear the city apart, brick by brick.

"You need to control the walls," he mutters, standing before Cyrus and the Colonel. They're operating from their headquarters in Rocasta, a less-defended supply city a few miles away from their objective. "If you control the walls, you can turn the city inside out ━ or take the walls down entirely. Render Corvium useless. To everyone."

Blake sits idly by in the sparse room, listening to the back-and-forth from her place next to America. Cyrus' idea. They're two of the more visible newbloods, well known to both kinds of Reds. Including them in these meetings sends a strong message to the rest of the unit. America watches with wide eyes, memorizing every word and gesture. Usually Mags would sit with the pair, but Mags is gone. She was a small woman, but she leaves a very large hole. And Blake knows whose fault that is.

Her eyes burn into Matt's back. She feels the itch of her ability, and fights the urge to bring him to his knees. He'll kill all of them for Maeve, and he won't kill his own for the rest of the world. It was Mags' choice to infiltrate Archeon on her own, but everyone knows it wasn't her idea.

Cyrus is just as angry as Blake. She can barely look at Matt, even when speaking to him. "The question now is how to effectively dispatch our own. We can't focus everyone on the walls, important as they are."

"By my count, ten thousand Red soldiers occupy Corvium at any given time." Blake almost laughs at America's humbleness. By my count. Her count is perfect, and everyone knows it. "Military protocol dictates one officer to every ten, giving us at least one thousand Silvers inside the city, not accounting for command units and administration. Neutralizing them should be our objective."