Chapter 2

Hearth Manor was larger than Ryu had expected, she'd seen it from a distance but never had actually been inside. 'Though I suppose that would make sense it was originally the home of Apollo Familia.'

Bell was only two steps in front of her, they had been moving down one of the immaculate hallways. "Goddess is in this direction, she had wanted to speak to you privately." Bell commented, "After, I can show you to the rooms and you can have a pick."

Having stopped a few steps later, Bell knocked on a wooden door, "Goddess I'm back!" He almost shouted through the door.

Not even two seconds later, the door was thrown open as a tiny figure launched at Bell, her divine aura leaving no guesses who it was. Goddess Hestia had wrapped herself around Bell, Ryu felt the briefest twinge of jealousy, but it was gone so quickly she barely noticed.

"Welcome home Bell!" Hestia shouted as Bell picked her up and placed her on the ground.

"Thank you, Goddess," Bell waved toward Ryu, "This is Ryu Lion." Bell gave a small smile.

Ryu gave a small bow, "Hello Lady Hestia. Bell has told me the basics as we have walked." She didn't shrink from Hestia's probing eyes.

"Is that so, shall we start? Bell," Bell nodded and backed away, gave Ryu a reassuring smile then backed down the hallway. "Well follow me." Hestia moved back into the room she had been in.

Ryu followed with a small thought that she couldn't ignore, 'They are showing me a lot of trust leaving their Goddess with the child of another Goddess.' She closed the door behind her banishing the darker thought that wormed its way into her mind.

.

.

.

The room was smaller than Ryu had expected, besides the main desk that Hestia sat behind, there was a pair of chairs in front of the desk, with a couple of stools sat up against the mostly bare walls. The only adornment was a plaque that was the Hestia Familia emblem emblazoned on a thick piece of wood.

Hestia sat in silence for almost a full minute watching, noticing how well the outfit had fit the elf. "Let me say one thing before we get started. If I detect a single lie, no matter how benign I will be forced to have you leave. Normally Bell's faith in you would be simple enough for me, but times have changed that optimistic approach."

"I understand Lady Hestia, lying would be a breach of trust," Ryu replied, understanding the simple requirement.

"Good, now why would you want to join the Familia? What can you bring to help every member?" Hestia shot what was important without any warning. Her blue eyes never wavered as she watched the elf in front of her.

Ryu took a deep breath. "Well to answer the first question, there are several reasons. First, the Familia as a whole has shown me trust when handling delicate matters. Second, the Familia shows me an aspect that I had lost years ago. Third, I want to help the person who saved me from myself."

"As for what I can bring, I have a lot of experience in the dungeon. I have supportive capabilities in my healing magic and long-ranged offensive magic, and my fighting style is well suited for working with others or by myself if the need arises. I can also make a strong rear guard for a party. Which can help ease the pressure Bell might be facing from what I have seen of the makeup of the other members." Ryu never let the nervousness show as she spoke, she spoke only the truth as she saw it.

Hestia nodded in understanding; Ryu didn't need to explain the delicate matters to her. "Good, your Hero is Bell I assume."

"That's correct," Ryu responded without any hesitation, although a twinge of pink had gathered at the tips of her ears.