Chapter 1

As the sun rose in district 7, a boy awoke from his slumber. He awoke from the confinement of his makeshift haystack bed and looked into the mirror. His reflection looked back at him, curious about the dark bags under his eyes. He sighed and began his daily routine with some heavy workout. His body was much weaker than before when he arrived in this place. He had tried his best to achieve a certain amount of physical strength but compared to his previous life, the perks of training were rather insignificant.

Surprisingly for him, he had not suffered much effects in his mental state. But that seemed even more disadvantageous as his younger body was unable to cope with the reflexes he had during his pre adulthood days. Migraines were common, but slowly and steadily, they too were getting lesser.

After his morning tasks were done, he left the shack he was residing in. He silently began to make his way to his workplace. The town which was usually bustling with people was strangely quiet today.

The reaping.

The event where 'Tributes' aged 12 to 18 would take part in the hunger games.

The boy also did not miss the increased capitol police presence in his way. It seems there was a heightened security all around district seven. He reached his workspace.

When he entered the shop, he was greeted with the gentle smile of the old Madame.

"You are early today dear! Did you get enough sleep."

The boy simply nodded to her question. The shopkeeper in question was an old woman probably in her late 60's. She ran a flower shop and was probably the most famous florist in district seven. The boy got to work, taking charge of menial labour and assisting the old woman.

"That reminds me Kiyo boy, Miss Johanna was requesting two bunches of bluebells. I would have delivered them myself, but an old friend of mine is visiting the floral garden today. Could you please deliver them over in my place to Miss Johanna?"

"Okay."

Johanna Mason. Who didn't know her. The most popular tribute the games had ever seen in the recent years. All the buzz was about her. The victor of the 71st hunger games. There was another victor from district seven currently alive, but his popularity was no match to Johanna. It wasn't that Kiyotaka was curious about her, it was more that he realized that curiosity about such a troublesome person would only bring more trouble. In fact, today might be the first day he might get to see her face up close. Not through the holograms like it was the case every time. After his work was finished, he grabbed the bluebells and headed towards the North of district. The road to north of 7 was deserted. No one really bothered to come to north. Because it was where the victors resided. Common people who trespassed intentionally without any kind of obligations were frowned upon the peacekeepers. And that trespassing might as well be your last unless lady luck was any kind to you.

He entered the stone paved road into the victor's territory. There it was, a small house. Definitely not suiting one of a victor if one were to know just how much they were respected in this world. And beside it, was an empty plot of land. It looked as if a majestic house had once stood on that plot of land. Now it was just empty. Wilderness was beginning to grow in that plot. The other tribute's house must be close too. And in a distance, he spotted a fairly large house, painted in blue. Kiyotaka approached the door and lightly knocked.

...

No response...

...

Kiyotaka again knocked the door, awaiting response, but was meant with none. He contemplated returning to the shop but decided against it. Of course, Madame would not hold it against him but it was better to wait at least 5 minutes. So, Kiyotaka decided to wait.