What I Thought I Saw

JACOBS POV

Joshua and I kept on with the boxes until it was about 11 pm. I was trying to wait him out, but it seemed like those cookies weren't working fast enough. Just when I was about to give up for the night, I heard a yawn.

"It's getting pretty late, huh bud?" Joshua started to stretch out his body, and he started to stumble a bit.

"Yeah, I'd say so." I responded, giving him a warm smile.

"Well, you better head back on home before your dad starts to question your whereabouts."

"I think you're right, I'll see you tomorrow, Mr. Delgato." He began to stumble, and I caught him.

"You good there?" I said with one hand on his back and one on his chest.

"Yeah, just a little fatigued, that's all. Those boxes took more out of me than I expected."

"Well, let's get you over to the couch, and I'll head out after."

"That's a good idea." I led Joshua away to the couch across from where Amelia was already sleeping. He landed hard and began to shuffle around.

"Thanks Jacob you're a good kid. Just lock the door behind you on your way out." He rolled over and began to sleep.

"No problem. I exited out the front door where I could be seen. As soon as I was out, I headed towards the bushes to watch while Joshua fell asleep to make sure the coast was entirely clear before I started to look around. I cleared a path in the bushes and watched through the window as Joshua's eyes slowly lowered, and he fell into a deep sleep. I got up dusted off my pants and noticed from my peripheral vision that a light came on across the street. It was my dad he turned on his room light and came to the window, and was watching me. I smiled, and I waved at him and headed around the back end of the house where the kitchen window still had been open. Once I reached the back, I noticed the neighbors house to the left of the home had a large dining room window that could pose a problem if anyone were to see me climbing in. The lights were dim, and there seemed to be no one there, so I decided it was safe to continue. There was a pile of dirt in front of a large stone right in front of the kitchen window under an outdoor faucet that would serve perfectly as a stepping stone to get into the house. I stood in the dirt, shaked away my footprint, and used the stone to push myself up into the kitchen window and slowly climbed in. One foot in the kitchen sink and then the other. I climbed out and landed softly on the hardwood floor. I was in the house. I was going to take this as an opportunity to look around and learn their home.

I started in the kitchen and opened all the drawers, no knives, no forks, no spoons, nothing about this house had been settled yet. Everything was still in boxes. This was good. This would work out perfectly if there were fewer weapons for them to defend themselves. Their cabinets and fridge were empty, so there wasn't any way I could sneak in anything into their food. There were a few pans here and there, but aside from that and a few porcelain dishes, they didn't have much prepared. There was a small closet behind the stairs that carried a simple broom and a swiffer and two jackets, all of which I'm assuming were the belongings to the previous home owner and was never collected before the move out. A couple of small shelves are covered in dust and the door into the basement.

I pulled open the door, which also made a small squeaking sound, and I flicked on the dim flickering light from the old bulb that had probably been there longer than I've been alive. The basement seemed to be an old wine cellar that was heavily packed with old bottles caked in layers of dust. Some tools were left behind, and a small safe was left on the floor. Safes pose a problem considering that's where most home owners hide their fire arms. I knelt in front of it and pulled on the handle, and it didn't budge. Maybe if I looked around, I could find a code that would let me inside to see if there was anything good in there. No papers pass codes, slips, files, or any kind where left down there for me to use as a possible combination. I headed back upstairs, and right in front of the basement door carved into the wall was the inscription Georges Safe, and the numbers 35-14-12 it was the combination my luck just got better.