The Darkest Decay

Start from the beginning

"It's Hera," Annabeth said in outrage. "She's had it in for me all year. Her statue would've killed me if you hadn't pushed us away." Thalia grimaced. "Well, don't just stand there! I'll be fine. Go!"

We didn't want to leave her, but I could hear Kronos laughing as he approached the hall of the gods. More buildings exploded.

"We'll be back," I promised. "I'm not going anywhere," Thalia groaned. A fireball erupted on the side of the mountain, right near the gates of the palace.

"We've got to run," I said.

"I don't suppose you mean away," Grover murmured hopefully.

I sprinted toward the palace, Y/N and Annabeth right behind me.

"I was afraid of that," Grover sighed, and clip-clopped after us. The doors of the palace were big enough to steer a cruise ship through, but they'd been ripped off their hinges and smashed like they weighed nothing. We had to climb over a huge pile of broken stone and twisted metal to get inside.

Kronos stood in the middle of the throne room, his arms wide, staring at the starry ceiling as if taking it all in. His laughter echoed even louder than it had from the pit of Tartarus.

"Finally!" he bellowed. "The Olympian Council-so proud and mighty. Which seat of power shall I destroy first?"

Ethan Nakamura stood to one side, trying to stay out of the way of his master's scythe. The hearth was almost dead, just a few coals glowing deep in the ashes. Hestia was nowhere to be seen. Neither was Rachel. I hoped she was okay, but I'd seen so much destruction I was afraid to think about it.

The Ophiotaurus swam in his water sphere in the far corner of the room, wisely not making a sound, but it wouldn't be long before Kronos noticed him.

[Y/N's POV]

Erebus had to almost be here by now. The deadline for typhon was today, and I didn't doubt that he would skip a bit to get ahead. It felt like something was punching me from inside my chest. The pounding of my heart, or maybe it was the demon. I don't know. But whatever Lou Ellen was warning me about, I hoped she knew what she was doing.

My shoulders sagged under the weight of everything. In the back of my mind, it almost felt like I could heard him laughing.

Either way... right now, we had to fight Kronos.

Annabeth, Grover, Percy, and I walked forward into the glow of the torches. Ethan Nakamura saw us first.

"My lord," he warned. Kronos turned and smiled through Luke's face. Except for the golden eyes, and the scar on his eye, he looked just the same as he had when I met him. Years ago. We were both younger. Less experienced. And we were friends.

As I stood before him now, I only found myself thinking of any way I could to kill him. But I couldn't come up with anything...

I could hardly breathe, but my legs carried me still. Lou Ellen said there was something I'd have to do. I'd have to let go... but when?

Annabeth made a painful sound in the back of her throat, like someone had just sucker punched her. "Shall I destroy you first, L/N? Or maybe I'll take Jackson?" Kronos asked. "Is that the choice you will make, to fight me and die instead of bowing down? Prophecies never end well, you know."

"Hey, Luke." I said, trying to draw him out. Kronos' eyes flickered. I could feel that he was getting angrier. "I am not Luke. I am Kronos." the titan said. I chuckled.