Assailants in the Arena

Start from the beginning

"We need to go straight," Rachel said.

We all looked at her. "That's the least likely choice," Annabeth said. "You don't see it?" Rachel asked. "Look at the floor."

I saw nothing except well-worn bricks and mud.

"There's a brightness there," Rachel insisted. "Very faint. But forward is the correct way. To the left, farther down the tunnel, those tree roots are moving like feelers. I don't like that. To the right, there's a trap about twenty feet down. Holes in the walls, maybe for spikes. I don't think we should risk it."

I didn't see anything like she was describing, but I nodded. "Okay. Forward."

"You believe her?" Annabeth asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Don't you?"

"Do we really have a choice? We brought her down here, might as well go along with it." Y/N answered. Annabeth looked like she wanted to argue, but she waved at Rachel to lead on.

Together we kept walking down the brick corridor. It twisted and turned, but there were no more side tunnels. We seemed to be angling down, heading deeper underground.

"No traps?" I asked anxiously.

"Nothing." Rachel knit her eyebrows. "Should it be this easy?"

"I think I ran into more monsters than normal hallways last time." Y/N explained to Rachel. "The maze tricks you. I figured that out the hard way."

He showed us a deep scar on his collarbone. "Whatever you want to do, don't say it. The maze listens." He whispered his warning.

"So, Rachel," Annabeth said, her voice wavering for a moment, but quickly regaining composure, "where are you from, exactly?"

She said it like, 'What planet are you from?' But Rachel didn't look offended. "Brooklyn," she said. "Aren't your parents going to be worried if you're out late?" Rachel exhaled. "Not likely. I could be gone a week and they'd never notice."

"Why not?" This time Annabeth didn't sound as sarcastic. Having trouble with parents was something she understood. Before Rachel could answer, there was a creaking noise in front of us, like huge doors opening.

"What was that?" Annabeth asked.

"I don't know," Rachel said. "Metal hinges."

"Oh, that's very helpful. I mean, what is it?"

Then I heard heavy footsteps shaking the corridor, coming toward us. "Run?" I asked. "Run," Rachel agreed. We didn't hesitate. We turned and fled the way we went.

About twenty feet later, we ran right into some old friends. Two dracaenae, snake women in Greek armor, leveled their javelins at our chests. Standing between them was Kelli, the empousa cheerleader.

"Well, well," Kelli said, surveying us. Y/N stepped forward, and drew Moonlight. I uncapped Riptide, and Annabeth pulled her knife; but before my sword was even out of pen form, Kelli pounced on Rachel. Her hand turned into a claw and she spun Rachel around, holding her tight with her talons at Rachel's neck.

"Taking your little mortal pet for a walk?" Kelli asked me. "They're such fragile things. So easy to break!"

Behind us, the footsteps came closer. A huge form appeared out of the gloom, an eight-foot-tall Laistrygonian giant with red eyes and fangs. The giant licked his lips when he saw us. "Can I eat them?"

"No," Kelli said. "Your master will want these. They will provide a great deal of entertainment." She smiled at me. "Now march, half-bloods. Or you all die here, starting with the mortal girl."