Don't Pet the Exhibits

Start from the beginning

"I should throw you into the pits of Tartarus for your incompetence," the General said. "I send you to capture a child of the three elder gods, and you bring me a scrawny daughter of Athena."

"But you promised me revenge.'" Thorn protested. "A command of my own!"

"I am Lord Kronos's senior commander," the General said. "And I will choose lieutenants who get me results! I do not need another." he gestured to the other man in the shadows. He stood, and I caught a look at the lieutenant. He looked strikingly familiar. A pair of dark rimmed sunglasses were resting on the edge of his nose. It offset his otherwise professional appearance.

He had longer, clean cut hair, and had a thick beard. He had a grizzled expression. This was the General's second in command. He looked like he could snap me in two with a breath. Needless to say, he radiated power.

"It was thanks to Luke, and Luke alone that our plan was salvaged, Thorn." his voice echoed. "Get out of our sight, until the General finds something pointless for you to do."

Thorn's face turned purple with rage. I thought he was going to start frothing at the mouth or shooting spines, but he just bowed awkwardly and left the room. "Now, my boy." The General turned to Luke. "The first thing we must do is isolate the half-blood Thalia. The monster we seek will then come to her."

"The Hunters will be difficult to dispose of," Luke said. "Zoe Nightshade-"

"Do not speak her name!" The General shouted. Luke swallowed. "S-sorry, General. I just-"

The General silenced him with a wave of his hand. "Let me show you, my boy, how we will bring the Hunters down." He pointed to a guard on the ground level. "Do you have the teeth?"

The guy stumbled forward with a ceramic pot. "Yes, General!"

"Plant them," he said.

In the middle of the room, was a big circle of dirt. The shiny golden plaques made me figure that this used to be an exhibit. But I watched with flaring nerves as the guard took sharp white teeth from the pot and planted them into the soil. He smoothed over the dirt and turned back to the commanding officers. "Ready, General!" he said, wiping his hands.

"Excellent! Water them, and we will let them scent their prey."

The guard picked up a tiny little watering can, and poured out some dark red liquid that smelled putrid. I knew enough about this world to know that what was in that can was not meant for drinking.

The soil began to bubble. "Soon," the General said, "I will show you, Luke, soldiers that will make your army from that little boat look insignificant."

Luke clenched his fists. "I've spent a year training my forces! When the Princess Andromeda arrives at the mountain, they'll be the best-"

"Luke." the Lieutenant said. "We do not deny that your troops will be a fine guard for our Lord Kronos. You of course will have a very important role to fill."

Luke went pale as a ghost. "-but under my leadership, the forces of Lord Kronos will increase a hundredfold. We will be unstoppable. Behold, our ultimate killing machines." the Lieutenant continued, walking down a level. From here, I could already tell this gif was bad news. He radiated fear.

The soil burst upward. I stood frozen still, barely even breathing under fear of being caught.

In each spot where a tooth had been planted, a creature was struggling out of the dirt. The first of them said: "Mew?" It was a kitten. A little orange tabby with stripes like a tiger. Then another appeared, until there were a dozen, rolling around and playing in the dirt.