Learning the Ropes

Start from the beginning

For a moment, Luke was too stunned to speak.

"Sorry?" His scarred face broke into a grin. "By the gods, Percy, why are you sorry? Show me that again!"

I didn't want to. The short burst of manic energy had completely abandoned me. But Luke insisted. This time, there was no contest. The moment our swords connected, Luke hit my hilt and sent my weapon skidding across the floor.

After a long pause, somebody in the audience said, "Beginner's luck?"

Luke wiped the sweat off his brow. He apprised me with an entirely new interest. "Maybe," he said.

"But I wonder what Percy could do with a balanced sword..."

I walked back out into the circle and Luke planted his sword in the dirt, looking around at the demigods.

"Alright everyone. I have another new technique I'd like to teach you all. It's for some of you more advanced swordsman. Now if I can just have a volunteer..." No one did. He looked at me and I shook my head. I wasn't very interested in getting my butt handed to me for the ninth time today.

Luke put his hands on his hips and let out a deep sigh. He surveyed the crowd again.

"Good man, Y/N. Thanks for volunteering."

I looked over at Y/N as he spoke, confused. "What's this now?" Suddenly he was pushed forward into the circle.

[Y/N's POV]

I always loved not knowing what I was being volunteered for. Luke tossed me a sword, and got into his usual battle stance.

"Alright, you know the drill, Y/N. Get ready."

I looked around, I saw some people smirking at my confused face. I never really pay much attention to Luke yapping about everything, and especially after Percy disarmed him the first time. I was a little caught up in my thoughts about Percy's possible father.

Then I suddenly heard my name and was forced into the middle.

"No, I really don't. Would you mind explaining?"

He clearly minded. Luke swung his sword at me, and out of instinct, I lowered mine to meet it. I thought of myself as an above average swordsman. But I had nothing on Luke. He taught me a lot of what I know, but he's also embarrassed me in an equal amount of our duels.

He slapped me with the flat side of the blade before I could even finish my thoughts. He hit me in a bunch of different places, the wrist, ribs, shin, and the side of the head. I was lucky he didn't cut me open.

Luke was nice like that. Sometimes.

He continued pushing me around, and finally showed the technique he was trying to teach. He practically controlled my arm with his blade. He swung his high, pushed his blade down the guard of mine, and slammed it, blade down into the ground.

My weapon was jammed into the dirt floor and before I knew it, Luke had kicked me off my feet.

As I slid along the dirt of the arena, my eyes started burning. The air stopped flowing into my lungs. I felt something cold slithering up my back. My eyes rolled up into the back of my head. I lost any feeling and blacked out.

[Percy's POV]

I hadn't expected this to be so one sided, but Luke handled Y/N about as well as I figured anyone could. Luke grimaced at the sight for a moment before turning back to the crowd.