Chapter 9: My Purpose

Start from the beginning

With Asuna... he didn't have to share anything. She... just understood by observation. When they dueled... it felt as if he was allowed to... just be himself despite the use of Skills.

At first, fighting her made him feel nothing... but as time went on and they continued to fight... that changed.

Fighting Kirito in the beginning was enjoyable since he was more knowledgeable about how the game worked, along with the fact (P/n) didn't have his weapon of choice. But in time, he was able to read Kirito.

Their duel without in-game assistance showed that. Kirito fights with some knowledge of combat, but he fights with his own style... a style designed for in-game mechanics. But without those mechanics, it was useless.

(P/n) noticed that he quickly swapped to a kendo stance during their duel. It was wrong. It was sloppy. His footing was all over the place. Most of all, his weapon of choice was not suited for that kind of fighting style. Kirito wasn't like him. Even when Kirito was using Sword Art Online mechanics to help him, it wasn't enough now that (P/n) understood them enough to readjust his fighting style.

Fighting Asuna was different. She didn't have (P/n)'s attack speed and reaction or Kirito's attack damage. What she had was speed and Insight, and she made it work.

Asuna was always on the move and never stopped for a moment. She used her environment to her advantage. She rarely impaled her enemy but instead slashed them as she passed by.

For (P/n), he had to stay on his toes with Asuna. Her mind was moving inch by inch closer to his own. If he hadn't had his katana, he would've lost to her by now. But... it was her understanding of him that made the difference.

Her Insight... was... she understood how he would attack and respond to attacks. Just like him, she was able to understand how something fights after careful observation...

Asuna understood how he fought. This was something he always thought of himself as he fought her. It shocked him at first, then excited him.

Now...

... now...

...the two players stood apart, preparing for a new wave of attacks. Asuna stared at (P/n) with no signs of showing any mercy, while (P/n) simply stared at her.

For (P/n), he knew what the Two-Handed Lance meant. With her speed, if she were to directly thrust her lance into her target, she used the momentum she built up thanks to her speed to deal devastating damage. A Skill that deals much more damage based on the player's speed.

The reason he knew so much about the Two-Handed Lance was simple... he knew that weapon suited Asuna much more if she wanted to utilize her speed to the best of her ability. But he didn't say a word so she could find that answer herself.

And here she was... standing before him with that Two-Handed Lance that she kept in secret for the right moment...

Asuna... wasn't sure what the expression on (P/n)'s face meant. It wasn't serious. It wasn't joyful. It wasn't stoic. It was thoughtful. As if he was trying to understand something.

Asuna: "...you know, I feel insulted that you're holding back all this time... but then again, great minds think alike" she stated with a smirk.

Kirito's eyes widened by Asuna's statement as (P/n) looked... a bit surprised. Was he... holding back?

No... she was right. He was holding back because he was lost in thought. He shook his head as he stared at Asuna.

(P/n): "...again, you surprise me. I don't know how I feel about the fact you can tell... Asuna... come and understand me more. Come at me with that lance of yours." he told her.