Chapter 27 - Matter Over Mind -

Start from the beginning

"Don't count your eggs before they hatch, Y/n. I may be short, but I'm still a force to be reckoned with." Shinobu said, a bit annoyed.

"We'll just have to wait and see."

As they continue their patrol, they fall into an easy silence, their thoughts wandering to ahead and the possibility of finding the Upper Rank demon.

"Say," Shinobu calls.

"Remember when we first started working together, Y/n? You were so nervous and always making mistakes. It's amazing how far you've come since then."

Y/n chuckles, a little red in the face. "You don't have to remind me of that. I was a complete noob.."

Shinobu gives a giggle.
"Don't worry, you were adorable. I loved showing you the ropes. And you were always so eager to take my advice to heart."

He sighs. "Yeah, well I've come a long way. I can handle myself now, and I don't need your advice anymore.."

"Sure, you do. You would probably still be running straight into traps without me to guide you." Another tease to him.

"That's... Now you're just being mean. I've done some pretty heroic things."

They talk about it more. as she looks into her eyes and his perfect.. jawline? wow she actually just noticed it now.

"Oh yeah? You mean when you fell into the river and I had to save you?" Shinobu remembers.

"You never let me live that down, did you?" Y/n pinched her cheek.

"Of course not! It was too good of an opportunity to pass up."

"Well, at least I won't ever let that happen again." He stares forwards.

"Oh yeah? You promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to die."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

"Just you wait, I'll show you what I'm made of this time around."

"Hmm, nevermind. seeing what you can do, means you'll get hurt again.
Still.. you never cease to amaze me," As they walk together, she leans to his side a bit.

"Don't you know that?" She smiled. now genuinely.

"You're a really good...friend." she continues. as her shoulder touched his.

As Shinobu gaze forward, there was a long pause. only for their to footsteps remain. the both seemingly lacking of social skills, especially to eachother now that they have ran out of things to say.

Y/n's voice was soft and low as he spoke, breaking the long pause of awkwardness.
"You're right. I am only human,"
he said, looking down at the ground.

"And sometimes I forget that. I've been through...things, and there are still times when I feel like I can't handle it all. I'm sorry I yelled at you."

Shinobu listened silently, taking in his words.

"That's what makes you strong, Y/n," she said softly.

"You keep going, no matter how hard it gets. No matter what life throws at you. It matters little if you like it or not, you just keep going. and that takes.. alot of discipline."

"I love the way you do.. things." She says, a cute grin on her face.

Y/n smiled, feeling a warmth spread through his body at Shinobu's words. It wasn't often that he felt comfortable opening up like this, but with her.

"Thanks, Shinobu," he said, reaching out to give her a light punch on the shoulder. "You're a great friend. And I'm glad I have you at my side, even when I'm being such a dick."