Chapter 2: Sweat Dreams

Velvets POV:

I woke up at exactly 9. The alarm from my phone blasts in my ears and I jump up. "Fuck." I groan and turn the alarm off. Every morning this damn thing scares the life out of me.

I sit on my bed for a few extra seconds before actually getting up. I walk to my bathroom, brush my teeth and change into presentable clothes even though I'm only gonna be wearing them for a few hours. Wait, I don't hear anything. Is Veneer awake? I storm out of my room and down the hall. Oh my god he better be, I told him to wake up at 9. I open the door and see him peacefully sleeping. I pause in my tracks and look at him. He was so bundled up in his blankets and was even cuddling one of his pillows. I slightly smile. What was I even thinking? We don't have to be there until 11, that gives us 2 whole hours to change and eat breakfast? I'll just let him sleep for another hour.

I gently close the door walk into the kitchen and grab ingredients to make pancakes. My heart pounded in my chest as the thought of our show came to my mind. The whole thing isn't just for us. This show is for new famous and popular bands and singers to perform and just have fun. There will be a lot of people there, and even though they aren't there just for us, I know they will love us.

We're planning to sing Sweat Dreams, one of the songs we wrote a week or so ago. We haven't had the time to make a video for it yet though. I'm sure we will get to it one day.

I flipped the pancakes and finished making them. I put them on plates and sat them on the counter. I started walking down the hall when Veneer barged out of his room. His hair was a wild mess, and he still had his pajamas on. "What time is it?!" He said as he stopped running right in front of me. "Uh, 9:50?" I said. "I'm so sorry, I forgot to set my alarm last night! I was just so-"

"It's fine. That time was unreasonable. I was actually gonna come wake you now, I made breakfast." I say calmly and walk back over to the kitchen. I sit down at our table and eat my food. "You seem to be in a good mood." Veneer said as he grabbed the plate of food I sat out for him. "I guess. I'm just excited for our concert!" I say. "Same, but I'm still pretty nervous." He says and sits down.

Many hours pass us by in a hurry. It was now 30 minutes till showtime. We were all up and ready. Costumes on, hair and makeup done. We were both just sitting in a small room reserved for us. It had a small couch and a TV on it and it was live-streaming the other singers performing before us. I sat and watched the TV while Veneer paced back and forth behind where I was sitting.

"Veneer. I'm gonna need you to stop pacing. It's distracting me and I can hear you walking, it's annoying." I say and he groans and flops down next to me. "Vel. I know you know already, but I'm scared. And nervous. Maybe a little horrified."

"Listen, I'm scared, nervous, and horrified too-" I pause, "are you really?" Veneer asks and gives me a blank stare. "Of course! Well, maybe not horrified. But! I am nervous too. I may be confident but I've never sung in front of a crowd like this, let alone talk to that many people. This is our first show, it's all new and scary but we will get through it." I say and cringe at myself a few seconds later. "Aw, never knew you actually had the ability to feel things." He said sassily. "I hate you." I say. "Totally." Veneer said and leaned on my shoulder.

A few minutes pass till we get a knock on our door. "Come in!" Velvet said and the door opened to a purple guy with a polka-dotted jumpsuit on and he was standing next to a girl with a hideous outfit. What the actual hell?

Me and Veneer side-eye each other and then look back at them. That one guy seemed to be looking at Veneer and the girl spoke up. Finally. Standing there in silence. "You guys are on in 10. I advise you to come wait backstage." The girl said. "Okay." Me and Veneer both said in unison. The door closed and me and Veneer looked at each other with disgusted faces. "Did you see that girl's outfit?" He said and crunched up his nose. "Ew, yes. The hell was she wearing? It looked like garbage. Didn't even match her or anything." I say and stand up. "Whatever. We gotta go wait now." I say. "Oh my god, I'm gonna pass out." He said and held his head with his hands. "Veneer, the more you tell yourself you're scared and whatnot is gonna make you more scared. Stop saying that and only think of us having fun on that stage." I say and grab his hand to pull him off the couch. "Right, we got this."

We walked out of the room and down halls that had famous people all on it. From the past and from the present. "Someday, we will be on these walls." I say and Veneer giggles beside me. "Obviously."

We walk backstage and I can't help but start to get more and more nervous the closer it gets to being our turn. I look around and see loads of equipment, microphones, costume pieces, and a lot more crap. "Velvet? I see your shaking." Veneer said. "What?" I asked confused and lifted my hands to see them slightly shaking. "Shit." "Vel, we got this. You're gonna do amazing out there. Take a deep breath, we're gonna have fun." He paused and I took a deep breath. "And gain some more money. Doesn't this thing give us like, 3K each?" Veneer said and we both laughed slightly. "Okay, I'm fine."

"Okay. Velvet and Veneer, any second now the lights will go off and you will have to go onto that stage. Exit through the right side." A man in a suit said.

"You ready?" I ask. "Let's rock this place."

We walk out on the stage and get in position to start dancing and singing. "Ladies and gentlemen! I now introduce you to, the best singing Duo Mount Rageous has ever seen, Velvet and Veneer!"

The beginning of the song started to play. The lights flashed on. Our heads snapped up and we started dancing. My time to shine.

"Sweat dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?" Perfect! Okay bro, don't fail me now. "I travel the world and the seven seas, everybody's looking for something."

"Hold your head up!"
"Movin' on,"
"Keep your head up!"
"Movin' on,"
"Hold your head up!"
"Movin' on,"

I look at Veneer and smile, we keep dancing and singing. Having the time of our lives.

I look around and see people of all ages, jumping, screaming, singing, cheering. They love us. This is all so overwhelming.

"Some of them want to use you"
"Some of them want to get used by you"
"Some of them want to abuse you"
"Some of them want to be abused!"

We sang our hearts out, praying that this wouldn't be our last show.

Soon enough the music stopped and our time to shine was over. The crowd roared and I looked at Veneer. "See? They love us." I say out of breath. He nodded too also out of breath.

Veneers POV:

We walked off stage and passed by a few people. "OMG! I know you don't know me, but you guys did Amazing!" One of the girls backstage said to us. "Aw, thank you!" I said to her as we walked away.

"That was the best thing ever! Did you hear the way they cheered us on and loved us?!" I chanted. "Yes! We are so gonna be the next for Lifers!" Velvet added

Just then I bumped into something. Or, someone?

"Ow, shoot, are you okay?" I ask panicked but when I reach my hand out to help the person up I freeze. Oh, my, FUCKING GOD? Who is this guy? Wait wasn't he with the girl that wore that shit outfit? And I recognize him from somewhere else too.. Oh! He's that one popular interviewer! This is definitely him. He's so, cute!? Fuck, pull it together veneer.

My heart pounded in my chest and I could feel my cheeks turn pink. My palms started sweating and my legs started shaking. He grabbed my hand and I pulled him up. "I'm so sorry." He said and we locked eye contact again. Holy shit, holy shit, HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

"Aren't you that one interviewer? Sorry, remind me of your name again." I say and he smiles. "I'm Kid Ritz." He said. "Right! I'm Veneer." I say and glance over at Velvet. Her jaw was dropped and she was just staring at us. "Yeah, I know." He said and chuckled a bit. I felt my face turn a bright red. Embarrassing.. "You guys did spectacularly tonight." Kid Ritz said. "Why thank you." I say and bow.

He laughed a bit. "Well, I gotta go." He said, "Okay, bye." "Bye," he said and walked past us. "Veneer. What the fuck was that?" Velvet asks me. I feel my cheeks grow a pulse. "What was what?" I say trying to be convincing. "THAT!" Velvet said "I never knew you had Rizz." She says and I laugh.

We continue walking. "Seriously though, I swear that sparked something." She half-joked. "I mean, he's cute and all but I don't think that." I say.  "Mhm," she hums. My heart was still trying to beat out of my chest. It was like it was trying to leave and go find that guy. I'm gonna explode

1708 words