10. Willful Wooing

Magsimula sa umpisa

The coach driver tipped his hat at them as the stepbrothers loaded themselves into the carriage. Inside was as lush as the outside, the seats were wide and spacey, the leather new and firm, and a grey carpet was spread out between the seats. Both of them avoided sitting next to each other so as to limit their contact as much as possible, and sternly looked out the window as the carriage started to move, Wilhelm in silent aggression, and Alvin in passive mindfulness.

It was only a horse-riding session and yet, his heart beat faster than ever. Maybe it was the fact that he was horrendous at horse riding, having being introduced to it for less than a month. Maybe he was afraid of falling from his horse mid stride and making a fool out of himself in front of the duke. Ruining his proud image and seeming like a damsel in distress would be bad. And if he does fall, then the duke would help him up, which would decidedly be even worse.

He doesn't know for how much longer he can ignore the duke's very apparent affection,

During their little after luncheon walk the day before, Duke Presley had been nothing but a perfect gentleman, not touching him, not chasing him with words, but had instead asked him about his interests, his career plans, the books that he liked to read. And even though he did not have a concrete answer to any of those questions, as he had never thought outside the boundary of poverty and minimal wages before, it was refreshing, and it had taken everything in him to not reciprocate those questions.

He couldn't help but wonder what kind of a person Mr. Vincent Presley was beyond his duchy duties.

It felt like with every day, Elizabeth's silly romance novel was coming to life right before his very eyes. The reluctant, headstrong princess falling for the big, charming prince. And while he knew he was the farthest from a headstrong princess, he knew that Duke Presley was not so far from a prince. He was big, he was charming, and handsome on top of that.

Alvin was definitely not so headstrong, and he didn't know how long his reluctance would last.

Before they knew it, the brothers had arrived at the _ Park. As London's largest renowned sight, __ Park was awe-inspiring with its huge trees and glimmering lake. No wonder it was most popularly chosen by courting couples for promenades.

"Mr. Frazier." Duke Presley's voice reached his ears as soon as he stepped out, Wilhelm getting out after him with a huff. "Mr. Wilhelm Frazier." The duke greeted, his smile warmer than the sun.

"Duke." Alvin nodded at the same time as Wilhelm greeted, "Your grace."

"I had my stablemaster prepare two of our best horses for you. I hope they will perform to your expectations."

"I am sure brother and I won't have any complaints." Wilhelm said, smiling in that forcedly polite way of his.

"Indeed." Alvin could not muster up a smile of his own, for his stomach was twisted in knots.

"Shall we?" Vincent gestured to the cobbled trail that led to the horse riding area. He waited till the brothers walked in front, and then followed.

There were three horses, one that was stark white, and the other two were varying shades of brown. Alvin guessed that the white one belonged to the duke, as it seemed the most regal. He walked to one of the brown horses, and Wilhelm did the same.

"Actually, Mr. Frazier." Vincent called out before Alvin could touch the horse's snout. "If you will, I have especially prepared my most beautiful mare, Allie, for you." He said, nodding to the white horse.

"Oh." Was all Alvin could let out as he let go of the straddle and walked over to the white horse instead, looking up into Vincent's dark eyes as he went. They were mesmerizing in the daylight.