Bond-Chapter eight

"Good morning BC Sol. As you all know, today is the day of our friendly with Sunbat United. The team lineup will be the same as that for the European League, to provide you with practice for the upcoming league."

Trad briefed the team before they were ushered into the main building of Sunbat United. Five of them stood in the room at one end of the huge beystadium, in front of a screen displaying the members of their team below a bigger headshot of the captain. Three red buzzers sat below the screen, each corresponding with a member.

"Who do you think they'll send first?"

Valt asked curiously. Rantaro snorted and popped a lollipop into his mouth, fanning himself with his paper fan.

"Do you need to ask? Wakiya will insist on going first. If he doesn't, I'll never touch a lollipop again!"

Rantaro raised the hand holding his fan solemnly. Valt's eyes lit up and he sprang up from the bench he had been sitting on.

"Really? I wanna go first! I'll knock Wyvren out of the arena and show Wakiya who's boss!" 

Valt punched the air enthusiastically as he pictured himself defeating his arrogant friend. 

"What? No way! You know your bey has a disadvantage against the defense-type Wyvren. I should go, since Roktaver is a stamina-type!"

Free rubbed his eyes and yawned, as if he hadn't heard the two boys. Seeing that their captain had not responded, Valt and Rantaro turned to the second-in-command. 

"Roktaver has a point. But a part of me wants to see the knight and the dragon battle it out." 

Karaginn pondered over the choice between the two beys. Ravlynne glanced over the boys. Both of them looked eagerly at her, and she couldn't choose.

"Please, wielder of Karaginn. I sense that this battle is what it will take to finally connect with my blader. He just needs one more push..."

Suddenly the voice of Valkyrie sounded in Ravlynne's mind. She tilted her head and fixed her eyes on Valt. A battle with a bey that had a natural advantage over Valkyrie would challenge him and push him past his limits. And if what Valkyrie said was true...

"Valt can go first. We can field Rantaro later."

Valt leapt up into the air and whipped out his bey. With a triumphant grin, he ran over to the buzzers and smashed his fist down on his.

"Yeah! I won't let you down, Ravlynne!"

The boy dashed out the moment the great doors to the beystadium lifted. Ravlynne watched him leave before her thoughts turned back to what had happened the previous day. Free. Fafnir's spiritual form. Levitating. Then Free again. She couldn't get his infuriating smirking face out of her head.

"STOP thinking about him. I've had enough of that dragon. It was just a coincidence you saw him yesterday."

Karaginn groaned at the Fafnir image overload happening to her. She knew it was extremely rare that a blader see the spiritual form of another bey, and most of the time it only happened when both of the bladers were extremely powerful.

Either that, or......they had an intense emotional link. 

Not the friends kind.

More like...lovers.

"Please, stop thinking about them. Focus on, I don't know, the perfectly exciting battle happening in front of you?"

Ravlynne tried to turn her attention to the screen in the room showing the battle between Wakiya and Valt, which didn't really work because Free was sitting right beside her. Sitting closely. Their pinkies were almost touching, their shoulders brushing against each other.

Neither captains were actually watching the battle. They were too busy thinking about the other. Free turned slightly away so Ravlynne couldn't see the mint dusting his cheeks ever so slightly.

Free may have been the number one blading prodigy in the world, but he was clueless about girls and feelings. He was pretty much seen as emotionless most of the time.

But beneath the bored front he put up, there was a vulnerable, caring boy. A boy who had been scarred for his whole life. A boy who was scared, scared to drop his cold exterior. Because life had taught him the hard way about what would come out of that.

He was a boy who yearned for love, yet was too afraid.

Love can make you the happiest person in the universe. And it can also shatter you completely.

Free had been shattered once before, and he didn't know what would happen if someone did it again. He didn't know if he could ever trust someone enough to leave his heart in their hands.

"YEAH! LET'S GO WYVREN!"

Wakiya's cry was still as loud through the speakers. Valkyrie had just burst after smashing into the heavy defense-type Wyvren. With two points from the burst finish, Sunbat United took the first round.

"That stuck-up brat..."

Rantaro muttered under his breath. 

Valt was standing in the stadium, stunned out of his mind. He thought that the deep voice he had heard in the match was just a figment of his imagination. He had spoken to his bey countless times before, but that was the first time she had replied. 

"GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYSSSSSSSS!"

The young blader ran all the way back, screaming at the top of his lungs. Everyone except Free and Ravlynne looked at him confusedly. They had been expecting Valt to be disappointed or even angry, instead of the exhilarated boy he was then.

"VALKYRIE SPOKE TO ME! SHE ACTUALLY DID!!!"