Unexpected-Chapter seven

"Alright, alright, guys. Calm down, okay?"

Kristina tried to prevent her club from pressing closer and closer to the arena, to no avail. Everyone formed a ring around Ravlynne and Free. Their attention zoomed in on the burst pieces of Fafnir in Free's hand and on the floor.

Ravlynne's victory over Free was like a spark at the end of a dynamite wire, quickly making its way from person to person, club member to club member. Phones were taken out, pictures snapped, texts furiously typed and sent. 

Soon, most major news outlets would know that Free De La Hoya, ever-reigning champion of blading, had been defeated, never mind that it was an unofficial match. No one ever won over Free, no matter in competitions or anywhere else. The spark crept closer and closer to the dynamite.

"Ravlynne defeated Free, so why is he still the captain?"

"Yeah! Why is he still the captain?"

Boom. 

The tiny spark touched the tip of an imaginary bundle of dynamite. It blew up in a spectacular ball of flames and smoke. Ravlynne winced slightly as she imagined the headlines and the unwanted attention. She was already beginning to regret her rash decision.

"Now what did I tell you? They'll all be knocking on your door and pestering us from now on. If you wanted to defeat him, you could have waited till the League."

Karaginn sighed and disappeared in a swirl of shadows. Ravlynne's brows were knitted closely together and her fist was clenched around the bey. She hadn't heard a word of what Karaginn had said.

"Everyone calm down. The captain is not necessarily the strongest blader in the club. A captain is a leader, thus his leadership skills are far more important. We will not be changing captains just because of this unofficial match."

Trad raised a hand and shouted. The club gradually quieted down, though some still cast dubious looks towards Free and muttered about Trad's biasness. 

Kristina rubbed her forehead again. She did not agree completely with Trad, as she knew that Free wasn't a very suitable leader. However, she had no other choice as no one else in the club had ever come close to matching him. 

But now Ravlynne had joined and defeated Free, he was no longer the only candidate for the spot of team captain. Furthermore, Free did not bother himself about those kind of things, and would likely take the news lightly.

"What about this, Trad? Let's make Ravlynne the second-in-command and see how she leads the team along with Free. After that we can think about promoting her."

Kristina whispered to the trainer. Trad considered it for a moment before nodding reluctantly.

"We have decided to make Ravlynne second-in-command to lead the team together with Free!"

Kristina declared and put an arm around the newly appointed vice-captain. Ravlynne squeezed out a sliver of a smile and tried to appear as jubilant as she should be.

"Club dismissed. You guys can take a break now."

Everyone had been so wrapped up in the two battles that they had forgotten completely about their break. Most of the members rushed out of the training room, but Valt and Rantaro stayed behind. Ravlynne could see stars shining in the former's eyes. They made her think that it was somehow all worth it.

"Ravlynne! Ravlynne! How did you do that? It was so cool! But how were you resistant to Fafnir's spin-stealing?"

Valt jumped up and down excitedly in front of Ravlynne. She held up Karaginn and explained hesitantly, not wanting to expose her bey's dual-spin ability.

"Karaginn is a left-spinning bey like Fafnir, while Valkyrie is a right-spinning bey. Fafnir can only spin-equalize using Drain Spin against right-spin opponents. When against left-spin opponents, it uses its rubber parts to slow down the opposing bey upon clashing and reduce damage dealt."

Ravlynne picked up the piece of Fafnir which had landed beside her feet and pointed out the rubber 'F's running along the sides. The rubber had been shredded cruelly by Karaginn's blades. 

"Rawwwr..."

Fafnir gave a mighty yawn and flipped over onto his back, seemingly unperturbed about his loss anymore or that a piece of himself was currently lying in the hand of Ravlynne.

"What about the last move you used, Cosmic Awakening? Why didn't you move in to finish Fafnir off in the end?"

Ravlynne twirled Karaginn around with the tips of her fingers. She offered the two boys a mysterious smirk. There was something adorable about their curious faces and large eyes that eased the smile out of her.

"Never ask a magician about his secrets. I've told you two enough."

As Ravlynne watched the two boys' faces fall slightly, she could not help but give them a hint.

"Think more burst-resistance instead of the special move."

"Okay! Thanks, Ravlynne. I think you'll make a great second-in-command!"

Valt grinned another huge grin before running out of the room with Rantaro following behind. Ravlynne's smile faded as she watched them leave.

"The things they don't know...sometimes I wish I was a kid again..."

Ravlynne threw the piece of Fafnir behind her without bothering to look back. Free caught it easily and screwed it together with the rest of the pieces. He was wondering too, about her motives for challenging him. He didn't think that Ravlynne did it just for the leadership position, or just for the sake of defeating him. 

Free's eyes were sharp, and he had also seen what no one else had seen during the battle-Karaginn's dual-spinning. It was fast enough that to the untrained eye, it just seemed like regular high-speed spinning. But an experienced blader would be able to tell. Dual-spin beys were extremely rare, with only a few having ever been recorded in the entire history of beyblade.

What baffled Free was that even normal dual-spin beys (if you could call them normal) could only be in one mode at a time, not both like Karaginn was. It seemed like the more he knew about Ravlynne and her bey, the more mysterious she seemed.

"Dual-spinning, huh?"

The lazy voice stopped Ravlynne in her tracks. She reached into her pocket to feel for her bey and exhaled.

"Yeah. You saw?"

Free crossed the room quickly in a few strides. Ravlynne was surprised by how close he was when she turned to face the boy. 

"How did you tell? Fafnir's special combination, I mean."

Ravlynne scanned his face. He seemed genuinely curious, his eyes a warm shade of brown. They were like glossy orbs of liquid chocolate, and were way too easy to lose yourself in. She almost reluctantly pulled her attention back to answering Free's question.

"The springs. If the opposing bey has more burst-resistance, the spring-loaded tip will exert the converted force on the bey itself, resulting in a self-burst in a combination unique to Drain Fafnir."

Ravlynne explained sparingly. Free must know his own bey like the back of his hand, so there was no need to go into great detail. 

Free smiled and looked down at Fafnir. He ran his fingers along the sharp edges fondly and glanced up at Ravlynne.

"You're the first one to have figured that out. Honestly, I had fun just now. Guess I'll see you around, Raven."

With one more smile, Free pocketed Fafnir and strolled out of the training room. 

"Glitter in the sky, glitter in our eyes/Shining just the way we are..."

Ravlynne was too stunned to reply or correct Free. Dua Lipa's dreamy "Levitating" began blasting in her mind, which made Karaginn groan. The bird just about hated music of any kind, complaining that humans had no taste. 

Ravlynne quickly blocked out the song, not only because of her bey but because she wasn't sure what it implied of her feelings towards the golden-haired captain pf BC Sol with his captivating brown eyes.