CHAPTER 16 : Sunset

Start from the beginning

"I've seen gurudev being partial towards arjun, have you noticed." She lets out, rolling the pallu of her saree ferociously.

"That's not true, I've not noticed anything like this as of now didi." I replied.

"You have lost all your senses since you've come here, the only thing you notice here is Ashwattama." She shouts upon me, with some furry and disgust in her eyes.

"W-what do you mean-?" I interrogate her with evident hesitation resonating in my voice. My heart rate starts to increase, and my stomach churns with an unfamiliar sense of dread. A peculiar sensation of guilt envelops me as Devpriya didi maintains her intense gaze, filled with anger, making it impossible for me to meet her eyes.

"What do i mean-i know everything nihira, what's going on with you. If i do not say anything does not mean i do not notice. Stop all of this nonsense and focus on your studies." She shouts.

"I don't get it, didi what are you even talking about-?" I inquired, my voice faltering and my nerves escalating. It was the first time I had ever felt afraid of Devpriya didi; in that moment, she truly embodied the essence of an older sister.

She firmly clasps my wrist, pulling me away from the students gathered around the fencing of the ashram, and taking me where no one is in sight. Abruptly releasing my wrist, she takes a deep breath and scans the surroundings before commencing...

"Don't act smart nihira, that thing between you and Ashwattama is taking you nowhere. You are gonna get married off early if pitashree or gurudev ever finds out about it. There's no Ashwattama in your near future nihira." She lets out. I felt an immense pain in my chest developing. I had goosebumps all over my body, my hands began trembling and I breathed heavily.

"Stay away from him, nihira. That's better for you in every way." With her deer-like gaze fixed upon me, she uttered her words. Her eyes gleamed with a cautionary message. I remained frozen in place, devoid of any movement. The meaning behind her words eluded me completely.

Could it be that I had fallen in love with him? And had I made it so apparent that everyone could see? Leaning against the fence for support, I stood there lost in contemplation, my thoughts drifting aimlessly.

I experienced a distinct sensation, considering the fact that I was only sixteen years old. It was natural for me, as a teenager, to develop feelings for a boy who was also in his teenage years. However, the fact that he was four years older than me shattered my heart.

Perhaps Devpriya didi was correct in suggesting that it could have been a mere act of play for him, but for me, he is my first love. The tingling feeling I experience when he is around has the potential to cause significant upheaval in my life. I remained in that spot for a while, unable to fully comprehend the situation I found myself in. The uncertainty of what was actually happening sent shivers down my spine.

Ashwattama showed interest towards me, investing time in my company. However, contrasting this behavior, he displayed rudeness and arrogance when in the presence of his friends. This raises the question of what his actions implied. Frustrated, I pressed my lips together firmly as I surveyed the ashram, observing the dedicated students engrossed in their studies.

My mind pulsated with thoughts, contemplating every aspect of the situation. In that moment, I yearned for tranquility and serenity. I pivoted, gazing back at the vast forest, its grandeur stretching out behind me.

I managed to slip through the bent fencing and ventured deeper into the forest. The lush greenery was adorned with mulberry and mango trees, while small rabbits scurried across the grass. The sun's rays filtered through the leaves, casting a mesmerizing glow over the surroundings. Delicate butterflies gracefully fluttered in between, adding to the enchanting and serene atmosphere. As I strolled through the grass, the golden hour gradually enveloped me in its tranquil embrace.

Sitting beneath the shade of a grand weeping fig tree, I found solace in its coolness. As I sat there, a sense of tranquility washed over me, allowing memories of my life in kaliyuga to resurface. However, the words of Devpriya didi echoed incessantly in my mind. Ashwattama had become an integral part of me, his manner of speaking, his laughter, and even his displays of anger had captivated my heart even further. Yet, Devpriya didi's words pierced my heart, claiming that he had no place in my future. I questioned the validity of her statement. After all, no one possessed knowledge of the future, not even these demi-gods who possessed the power to wield Bharmaastra and other divine weapons.

As the sun started to descend, the forest gradually grew dim, and the sky transformed into a shade of orange. The birds' chirping intensified, signaling the approaching nightfall. I prepared myself to return to the ashram, slowly rising from my spot.

However, as I stood up, I detected the sound of footsteps drawing near from behind. My gaze scanned the edge of the forest, pondering who could be approaching. The volume of the footsteps increased as they approached, while I remained hidden behind a colossal tree. A sense of curiosity overwhelmed me as I wondered about the identity of the person drawing closer.

"Who is this-?" I shouted.

The sound of the footsteps ceased. I swiftly turned to locate the origin of the sound, but it seemed to have vanished into thin air. Rising from the ground, I scanned my surroundings, hoping to catch a glimpse of someone from the ashram attempting to frighten me. As the sun started its descent, casting a shadow over the forest, I cautiously moved towards a tree for cover. However, to my surprise, there was no one present.

Weird.

When I turned around to proceed, I caught sight of a young boy. He was sprinting out from behind the tree, clearly trying to avoid being noticed by his swift movements and quick escape from my line of sight. He headed towards the dense forest, displaying an unusual demeanor. Although the darkness prevented me from discerning his face, his attire stood out. He carried a bow and arrows, slung across his shoulders, and wore a short cloth around his waist adorned with white embroidery, possibly shells or bones. Intricate designs were painted on his arms, and he sported a crown made of feathers atop his head.

I was filled with perplexity as I pondered upon the identity of this unfamiliar boy. It was evident that he belonged to a distinct clan or territory, perhaps even a tribal community. However, I couldn't fathom the reason behind his presence near the ashram during the sunset, concealing himself. The thought crossed my mind whether I should disclose this to Nakul and Sehdev. He could have potentially been a spy or an operative hailing from another realm.

Who it might have been-?

Q. Who do you think this boy is ???

Thankyou so much for reading :)

Please vote comment and share