Chapter 83: Curious

Start from the beginning

No windows studded the cold stone walls. . .No rays of sunlight broke through the oppressive darkness, my barely there night vision only working well enough for me to see the steps directly in front of me.

Lovely place here. . .Now I see why everyone tried to discourage me from coming down here. . .

I hadn't thought to check where my guards had put the man who attacked me. . .Too busy spiraling into an inconsolable state to wonder how my pissed off people were treating my attacker. . .

Now I feel a bit bad. . .

Finally, at the bottom of the twisting stairs, I got a faint light to see by.

Hanging just outside of the only cell down here was an oil lamp, keeping the cell constantly lit. . .Preventing the prisoners from being aware of how much time was passing.

At least the ceiling doesn't leak. . .

Approaching the bars, I got a view of the man imprisoned inside.

Evander was sitting at the base of the furthest wall, his eyes closed and the faintest smirk on his lips.

''If you wanted to break me, you could have tried so much harder. As far as prisons go, this is quite pleasant'' The man rumbled out, his voice low and rough, making my breath hitch slightly.

That one single noise from me made the other man's eyes to snap open, training on me instantly.

I felt a fair bit like an animal trapped under the gaze of it's predator.

''Well now, this is a pleasant surprise'' He rumbled out softly, sitting up a bit straighter but thankfully remaining where he was against the wall.

Swallowing thickly, I approached the nearby cell door, balancing the tray on one hand as I fished a key out of the hidden pockets sewn into the loose toga like robe I was wearing.

Near the bottom of the cell door was a small locked 'mini door' for us to slide the trays in through.

I tried to ignore the other man's piercing gaze as I unlocked the flap, carefully pushing his tray through before locking it again.

What. . .Am I supposed to do now? Do I. . .Do I just leave?

''Normally. . .The woman leaves after giving me some food. . .Surprised you're still here'' Evander commented quietly as he went to grab the tray, his gaze sharpening as I took a step back.

I shrugged slightly, instinctively wrapping my arms around where my daughter was resting in a silk sling against my skin.

His gaze drifted towards my daughter, blinking slowly before moving back towards the wall, sitting down at the base of it again as he picked up a slice of bread to munch on.

''Figured. . .I'd give you a bit of company'' I whispered softly, staring down at the visible bump my daughter made in my robe.

The man hummed softly, silence descending between the two of us.

''What's their name?'' Evander asked after a few more slow bites of food, his question drawing my gaze back up to him.

''She doesn't have one yet. . .I was kind of waiting for my mates to return and add their opinion'' I admitted quietly, my gaze meekly moving back to my egg as the other man's gaze sharpened.

His scent, while making my head foggy. . .Was making the feral unsafe feeling inside of me fade away slowly.

''Tell me dove. . .What force. In the stars above or the cold dark abyss below could pull your mates away from their mate with child?'' Evander asked quietly, his rumbling voice cold, sending a shiver down my body.

''They didn't know'' I defended quietly, my words earning a soft scoff.

''Still, even without knowing, they left you in charge of an entire kingdom, no caring mate would throw that upon their loved one'' Evander continued, making me frown as my grip tightened on my daughter, small tears beading in my eyes.

I don't want to hear this. . .

Perhaps sensing my distress, Evander changed the subject abruptly.

''How many months before we get to meet her?'' He asked, his voice softening when speaking about my child, that fact sharply catching my attention.

''. . .Two more months?'' I guessed. . .I had. . .Sort of lost track of time during my distress over my missing mates.

Evander smiled slightly at that, his eyes softening at the edges.

''Do you have a nest set up for her? I can send for my people to bring one for you if not, my kingdom has quite a few talented woodworkers'' Evander offered, confusing me a bit.

''. . .I. . .I thought you wanted to kill my daughter'' I whispered softly, a bit shocked at his offer.

He nodded slightly at that, taking another bite of his food before finally answering me.

''I did at first, but. . .I've had time to think over my actions, and I cannot cause so much hurt to you by taking your child. . .Besides, if I raise her as my own she won't be aware of her original sire anyways'' Evander explained simply, making me slowly blink in surprise.

Not. . .Not sure what emotion I'm supposed to feel here. . .

------------------------------------------------------

Evander is 100% down to fully brainwash to a child. 'Me? Yes I am the one who made you. Do not ask anymore questions.' - Evander.

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen