Chapter 46: The hunt is on

As much as I want to put in Theo's Pov, This whole thing is in Jude's Pov. . .Gorey at parts btw

-------------------------------------------------------------

Night came far quicker than I could ever have wanted.

I was woken by the cell door opening, Two guards entering the cell silently to take me away.

Knowing that I wasn't getting out of this, I willingly followed them, Having been forced to shift back into my second form.

It was cold down here without clothes on, But honestly, I knew it'd be easier for me to hide in the forest without clothing clinging to me and any branches I'd pass.

Not to mention, I knew it'd, Again, Be easier to hide my scent without clothing that reeked of me.

I was led out the back of the palace and out of the heavily walled kingdom.

Which was. . .Odd.

When Quinn hunted me, I was hunted through his tribe's town.

Lots of people got hurt. . .

Here through, I was led towards a small forest just within sight of the large walled kingdom.

I couldn't see the crowd of people I expected to see, Either waiting to see who will win the Head's mate or seeing if they could get a hand up in life by claiming a powerful person's mate.

''They're not allowed out to hunt until you've been given a little while to get further into the forest'' One of the guards escorting me informed me, Reading my confused expression shockingly well.

That's. . .Different from how Quinn did it too. . .I didn't even get much of a chance to run. . .This almost sounds like a fair competition 

Once we were at the edge of the forest, The other guard took out a small bag from his satchel.

''Here, Incase this thing takes all night or you get too drained'' The guard explained as he handed me the bag before pushing me in the direction of the forest.

''Good luck'' Both of them called out before the two of them turned on their heels and headed back to the walled kingdom.

Not waiting to see where I went. . .Meaning. . .They weren't going to snitch on which direction I took off in.

Gritting my teeth, I took off into the clearly unkempt and wild woods.

I didn't stop until I could no longer see the edge of the woods.

Once I did stop, I took a second to gather my bearings and check what I had at my disposal.

The bag, Much to my now constant surprise, Had dried meat and a canteen filled with fresh clean water inside.

Gratefully, I tied the bag closed and continued through the forest, This time at a much more careful and reasonable pace.

The ones both hunting and being hunted weren't allowed to leave the hunting grounds until sunrise or until either all the hunters had 'accidents' and died or the one being hunted is caught.

So I had to have multiple plans at the ready as there are many different outcomes for this night.

The one thing they all had in common was that I needed to be as hard to find as possible.

First thing I needed to do was find some source of water to use to wash off some of my scent.

It didn't matter how fast, How far or how long I run if my scent stays clinging to me, Leaving a clear trail that anyone with a keen sense of smell could follow.

--- Time skip ---

I had been wandering through the forest for what felt like forever before finally, The thing I feared happened, One of the hunters came rushing out of the tree line, The horrid smell of sickly sweet rotten fruit reached my nose.

Taking a quick step back, I dodged the naked rotten fruit smelling man.

No one is allowed to shift into their first form during the hunt, But, Considering what I had to fight against in my last hunt, I was more than prepared to take on this threat.

He lunged at me again.

This time I didn't dodge his attack, Instead, I ducked down, Letting him collide with me.

His scent should help cover mine at least a little bit.

As he knocked me towards the ground, His throat got exposed enough that I could lunge upwards.

The taste of copper burst out across my tongue as I sunk my teeth into his neck.

For a split second he started to let out a pleased purr, Assuming I was accepting him and marking him back.

Unlike before, He started to quickly realize the amount of danger he was in as I sunk my teeth further into his neck.

He stupidly recoiled back, Accidently helping me rip into his neck.

Warm liquid trickled down my chin and splattered across my face before I released him, Letting him fall back onto the ground as he clutched at his throat, Gurgling and choking on his own blood.

I got back to my feet, Ignoring the slowly bleeding out man.

My plans needed to change now, The smell of blood would attract the hunters like moths to a flame.

What I needed to do now was to get as far away from here as quickly as I could.

Wiping the blood from my face as best I could, I started to run through the trees again, Unable to take flight with how close together the trees were.

I ran until my lungs burned and my legs ached.

Eventually, I had to pause and once again, I was grateful for the bag with dried meat and a canteen of water I had been given.

Pulling out the canteen, I cautiously took a few sips of it, Catching my breath as I wearily watched my surroundings.

While I was looking around, My eyes landed on a familiar grey winged man who was currently leaning against a tree across from me.

My heart sunk as I lowered the canteen.

Aldo pushed himself up off the tree, Approaching me.

His wintery pine scent bit at my lungs with every inhale, Cooling my pulsing heart.

He, Unlike the last hunter, Was still wearing pants.

I slowly squared my shoulders, Preparing for a fight.

Sure he was my mate and all, But I wasn't about to be claimed without taking a pound of flesh first.

------------------------------------------------------------------ 

We get NSFW next chapter. . .Late chapter btw

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen